Krell KAV280p to replace my KRC3?

Looking for my next upgrade - well, change anyway. Has anyone compared the new KAV280p with the classic KRC3 preamp? I'm wondering what improvements the newer preamp might provide over the older one, if any. I currently use the KCR3 with KAV 250a amp and THIEL CS2 2 speakers (Theta Miles cd player). All Straitwire Crescendo interconnects and Serenade speaker wires. Looking for a slightly more laid back presentation. Seems like Krell might be heading more in that direction with their newer lines. What about this preamp? Thanks for any input.
daviderow
Fairly new to high end, just upgraded to Krell 280p, with Krell 2250, Rotel 991AE CD all connected with Siltech SQ28 G5 balanced ICs running B&W CDM-9s. It's heaven, pure and simple. All the music, in a beautifully balanced, fluid and transparent format, with remarkable depth and air around the voices; criticism of Krell utterly,totally incomprehensible to me. Anybody got some 802s they'll sell cheap?
I think the Krc3 is a great preamp....very neutral & not outdated (albeit no longer made). I am not familar with the Kav 280p, but do know the Krc3 was a significant steup from the kav 250p. I would look at the Krell kct if you are really looking to upgrade your preamp.

The bigger issue...I don't think the issue is with your pre preamp at all. I use to own the Kav series amp and think they have very pronounced lower & upper end. The upper end can be very fatiguing. If you want to stay in the Krell family, I would upgrade to one of their bigger amps or even their new kav 2250 amps. I believe the newer kav line has a more balanced upper-end. If not Krell, you have so many options out there.

I am not familar with the rest of your gear, so bear that in mind. I just wanted to comment since I think the Krc3 is a very good preamp.