Krell FPB 300cx vs FPB400cx

I know there is a power difference but is there a sonic delta between the two? Is the audio signature the same? Are the electronics the same.

Im asking this because I saw an article that indicates the electronics are different.

Rich
richnus

Showing 2 responses by dbld

I have a 300c (predecessor to the 400cx, not the 300cx) and have been wondering about the upgrade path for my amp to the 400cx. In my search, I think I read somewhere that the power supply of the 400cx is significantly more substantial than the 300cx. Perhaps this contributes to what Stevecham experienced.
Stevecham: Not yet. I have had a HTS 7.1 for a couple of years now, and have really liked it. It is very much unappreciated in most forums, but I have done some side-by-side comparisons using the two-channel analog pass-through, and it keeps coming out on top.

I just bought my 300c used here on AgoN. I'll need to wait until this busy holiday season calms down before pursuing an upgrade in earnest. If I had better timing, I would have gone for the Audio Pimp's 400cx. It would probably be cheaper for me than upgrading a 300c. So for now I am just kicking the idea around and gathering info (tire-kicking).

I have had occasion to speak with the Krell folks in the past. They have always been very forthright and helpful.

Dave