Killer Floor Standing Speakers under $4000 for Rock?

polling all ears (subjective I suppose) but would like to hear you people who have heard fairly high end speaker that kick ass in clarity for mostly Rock/ Fusion Jazz at high volumes with killer clean power .

I currently have a :
Marantz PM-11S1 Integrated amp
SVS SB-1000 Sub
NHT 2.3 Towers
Technics SL15

Klipsch/Paradigm/Infinity/B&W/Dynaudio/PSB ???
128x128tommypenngotti

Showing 4 responses by tomic601

chasing our tails to get THE sound for rock is somewhat crazy given the many studios, etc..
So yes we have some agreement.

I am with Jafant, I happen to prefer Vandersteens driven by a tube front end and a solid state amp.

I hope the OP gets where he wants to go musically !!!!!

repectfully. disagree
monitors do matter at every step in the chain
they vary widely
a ton of classic rock was recorded and mastered with big JBL's with a host of strengths and known issues. The West coast sound is not a myth.

Atmasphere..
i do not nessesarily agree....
first we have the problem of what it was mixed and mastered to sound like....so IF the studio is using NS1000 as the be all end all monitor well...the reults are going to vary...or a big JBL with a 8" or larger paper cone mid with breakup and ringing including sigificant out of phase 2nd order distortion ( that junk also counts as output...er efficiency...but that is a shall we say dirty secret)
My theory and it is shared is the lower distortion pistonic systems are truth tellers and they lay bare the recording and a lot of rock sounds really crappy on them...
hence some of the popularity of old tube stuff with tones of  higher order distortion to add back in..
my vintage system w 1960's Mac stuff sounds fab with rock...
run a modern hyper excellent say 2 L recording thru it and well it sucks..
to the OP just get some big JBL,s
or the best used Wilson you can afford..paper cones and all