Just getting into mid-fi need advice

After looking up all the messages out there, I am a little scared to ask this question with the title "hi-fi" as I am afraid my budget might not buy me entry into one so have titled it as "mid-fi"
I have come to the following conclusions,
I need a setup for a sterio system only (no 5.1/7.1 stuff).
I need advice for speakers I was thinking of the paradigm reference studio 100 V3 speakers.
I listen to classical, rock (not heavy), indian music, acoustic guitar etc.
I am willing to spend another 1000 on the components and was thinking of buying them second hand here at the gon.

Please help with recommendations.
Also I am a little confused about the buzz on tubes, actually I was quite surprised to see so much enthusiasm about them. I am a electronics engineer and work in semiconductor devices, its been ages since I read about tubes however I was impressed about all the class a amplifiers out there using tubes and the talk on solids clipping harshly. Do you folks think that using a solid state amp in the linar regime will still not produce the sonic quality of a tube?

Please advice, if you think my rather no-knowledge questions sound stupid please accept my apologies.
naren1

Showing 1 response by mt10425

Buying speakers used is more risky but not necessarily because of the sellers. Most of the shipping outfits (fedex, ups) seem to have some difficulty getting them from point A to point B without damage, especially if they are not being shipped in original boxes. However, there are many small audio dealers with trade-ins or demos who have the boxes and expertise to ship safely. Jeff's Sound Values shipped my Tannoys across the country without incident. Be cautious but not scared. Good luck and enjoy.