Just Curious - About using a AV Receiver as main unit

Just curious about something.

I know it is preferable to use a Integrated Amp or Pre-Amp+Amp combo as your main unit in the system but sometimes I see used AV's receivers see from manufacturers who make really good high end 2 channel equipment and these receivers sell for less then say a 2 channel component from the same manufacturer (units from say Rotel, Anthem, Arcam, Marantz, etc). Also, since we are talking about AV Receivers, I guess it's fair to compare them to SS Amps. If your into Tubes, then that is whole different story.

I wonder sometimes if you start a build using one of the AV receivers instead of the 2 channel component, would that be a good system to build off of.

I will say for myself, I started with a Denon AVR-5700 (which I still have and was a beast in it's day) and I think it was an excellent piece of equipment and had a great 2 channel section.

Last year I bought a Integrated amp but honestly, I could have easily stayed with the Denon and build off of that.

Sure, these AV's receivers wont compare to components that are way up there in the thousands but if your budget is bit tight I think these components would be great to start with and I am not talking about your $400 dealer receiver from best buy, I mean AV's receivers that were top of the line in their day and now can be had for much cheaper. 

Well just curious and my opinion.

Thanks
128x128jay73
Post removed 
I have an old Denon 4806 as the hub of my system and its incredibly versatile and sounds amazing to me whether I'm playing DSD through Denon link and doing room correction in the digital domain using Audessy or switching through numerous components hooked up for maximum quality playback (ex. Node 2i decoding mqa via its internal dac, Node 2i to external Doge 7 tube dac streaming hi res, Pioneer reference BD09fd playing hi res surround through its Wolfson dacs in dual mode and sending video (only) through HDMI, two channel DSD via Sony EX SACD player or the cd layer as transport to the tube dac, etc., etc. There are practically endless permutations you can explore and compare with a click of your AVR remote. These AVRs can shut off the circuits not being used and as far as I can tell are more versatile. sophistcated, and high quality then alot of stuff sold today and you can find lots of reviews to get the best for pennies on the dollar. The Denon and Pioneer reference quality mid to late 2000s AVR and Blue Rays had separate hdmis for video and sound AND external analog inputs! You are free to play any source hooked up any wau you could possibly need (unlike most of todays stuff with very limited connections). Sure, you can buy a multi thousand dollar prepro but a reference quality Pioneer or Marantze Blue ray might sound just as good for a fraction of the cost. My experience is limited but I seriously doubt I'd be blown away by separates as the original poster stated as powerful and sophisticated as these 3 to 4k Denon's were back in the mid to late 2000s. Of course, cheap AVRs are always crap but u can buy super high quality used for pennies on the dollar these days that wasn't designed for obsolecence like so many of today's products. Sound quality used to be a mainstream thing back in those days. You don't have to buy these botiquey esoteric brands and chotchski's costing thousands for every piece in the audio chain to get good sound. Buy quality used components and put the savings into better speakers. All that being said, I love my new tube dac and its not like anyone is really stuck with the dac the comes in their amplifier.

You can use it, you’ll most likely clip the receiver.     If you don’t listen loud, sure, use it. 
   When I transitioned to separates, I have not looked back.

play what you have!
enjoy the journey!
i only listen to 2 chanell stereo. i bought a mcintosh mx132 as a pre-amp tuner to mathch my mc602 power amp. is this a good choice???
Also, for 4k these days you can stream in dolby vision and run optical to your old AVR in 2 channel, or to play 4k blue rays in surround buy a cheap 4k player and run hdmi to your old AVR and picture is still amazing but not 4k I guess. I'm more a sound person so I'm more impressed with the old players with high end dacs to play 5.1 blue ray audio than I am concerned about picture quality when I can alternatively stream and play 4k dolby vision. That is about the only constraint I can think of in using a mid 2000s high-end AVR (not having 4k + surround at the same time)]. If you looked at the features on one you might be surprised and how they upsample and do sophisticated processing and I'm not talking about cheesy DSP effects either. We are talking decoding dsd, bass management in the digital domain, 24 bit processing, and ability to handle a multitude of popular codecs. I'm sure dolby has some new thing but I haven't been particuarly limited on any media I"ve wanted to play to this date. These things are very deep monstrosities though weighing over 50lbs so that's another BIG constraint for most people. Lots of fantastic opinions and info in this thread. Thanks to the original poster for asking such a great question even if my opinion is in the minority.