JM Labs Electra 937Be vs.Diva Utopia Be vs. Mezzo

Just got back from the audio shop this afternoon and had a fairly quick audition of the Electra 937. Very impressed I was. I was hoping to do an A/B comparison with the Diva, but for a variety of reasons was unable to do so. Perhaps will have a chance later.

I've now checked out the 907 and 927 Be, the first of which I liked a lot and the second of which I thought was disappointing. But the 937 is a whole different matter.

What I'd like to know is if others have made these comparisons as well and what were the impressions. Also how do the 937 and the Diva compare with the older Mezzo Utopia? If you had a choice, which would be the best choice and why? I had a very, very brief audition with the Mezzos a month or so ago, and liked them, but I didn't have a chance at that point for a full check with my own music. I'm still pretty blown away by the beryllium tweeter, which is just amazing with my musical tastes. Could someone also explain in more basic terms some of the technological distinctions between these three speakers? Thanks in advance.
washline

Showing 5 responses by washline

David, I certainly appreciate what you are saying. I'm sure the Mezzos are a dynamite speaker for your system and certainly one that I'm strongly considering as well. Yes, the prices are good on that one. I wasn't aware of Yamaha's experiments previously with beryllium.

Glai and Aball, thanks for posting your associated equipment. Glai, I'm guessing you found the Cardas and Ridge St. had the best synergy with your Divas. And Aball, you found the MITs more satisfying. thanks for the info and I'll keep it in mind.
yeah thanks for that post. I have been reading the tech info at the Focal site and it's quite interesting. But I'm not sure what the Utopia series adds specifically from the Electra. For example, how do the different crossover points affect the sound between the two series? I'm really new to all of this, but I want to make a good investment--one to which my ears can also eventually catch up as they get more discerning. Another issue is the location of the drivers. The bass drivers on the Diva are located low and in the back of the speaker, whereas the Electra 937s go straight at you. I'm going to have to locate the speakers in front of a concrete half partition which splits my small studio apt into a 8 1/2 x 11 foot listening space, but one chock full of books, shelves speakers and wall adornments, so plenty to deaden out the sound if it becomes too boomy. I also want to buy in the eventuality of moving to a larger space in a couple of years or sooner, so I don't mind going with a floorstander.

the info on the focal website suggests that a lot of the technologies used on the Utopia series are duplicated with the Electra Be. namely, the gamma structure, focus time, OPC, W cone, and of course the Beryllium. The main difference seems to be with the Focus Ring and Power Flower magnet technologies and perhaps degrees of the other commonalities. I was only wondering how these might translate sonically. Other issues include cabinet structure and quality and the WBT vs. Focal binding posts. If anyone has any thoughts about all of this it will help in my decision. I do trust my ears, but more than my ears, I trust where my future ears might be in audio space/time and what they might be hearing that I don't right now. I'd like to plan for that eventuality, which is why I'm inquiring with sophisticated ears reading here. Thanks in advance.
Hi Panderso, Bill here. We talked before. I was all set to get the Micros in November, and then I had a change of heart after one last audition. I decided to go for more bass extension. I pondered it over and realized if I had more patience, I'd have the Divas or the Altos used, so I thought it a better option than just buying the Micros at that time. Tough decision, though I'm happy with it. Then I heard the 937 and was shocked at how good it was, especially when compared with the 927, which I hadn't liked if you recall. I think I agree with you though. the cabinet construction and build quality of the Utopia series is pretty unbelievable. I think I'll stick with my original plan and patiently save up for one of the other two.

Glai and Arthur, what cables did you settle on and which did you eliminate in your setups? Where are you at now in terms of your listening and which matches do you think don't work at all with these speakers? thanks for following up.
thanks for that reply David. I agree that the Mezzos are a pretty great speaker too. But I don't think the beryllium tweeter is only hype. I think JM Labs went to a lot of work on that one and produced a very clear, very dynamic tweeter. I'm still going to consider the Mezzos. They are indeed very well-priced. Thanks for the reply.
I agree with your point. Thanks for adding in so late on this topic. I ended up buying the Alto Utopia Be's used. I'm as happy as a clam with these speakers. The others were great as well, but the Altos are really fabulous speakers. The only drawback to the Altos is that they are beasts in terms of size and difficult to move. :-)