jbl k2s9800 seg wood grain keep or sell?

i just purchased a pair of jbl k2s9800 speakers for my home,i am not a audiophile by no means[not yet]however i love loud clear music,i have a basic onkyo reciever that puts out about 100watts. it sounded better with my old infinity sm150 speakers,should i buy a amp [if so what kind] the k2s9800 were recommened by a friend that is not avaiable for advise any longer,it seems to me the new speakers would be better suited for a concert hall, etc? they have networks,crossovers,bi-amp,all differant types of componants that i know nothing about?i am leaning towards selling them,but what catagory would suit them,what amount should i sell them for?[ i paid $13,500.00 a piece plus tax and shipping] i do realize i sound like a idiot [especially on this web site] but i am in a bind and really need some advise from you guys!! thanks corey
croweshead5215
You have a pretty fabulous pair of speakers there, judging from reviews I've read, and you're powering it with a mass-market reciever. I'm not surprised it doesn't sound good, $27K speakers deserve a world class amplifier. Now I don't know the specs of the speaker, if you could post sensitivity and impedance figures it would help us in making amp recommendations. But hang in there, those are world class speakers and with some effort you'll achieve world class sound and be happy with the result. Please also remember to have fun with the process. Now do a little research and get back to us, please also include your budget for amp and preamp. Good luck!
jond, the specs are,power handling:400w[rms],frequency response:45Hz-50kHz,low frequency extension:35Hz[-10db],sensitivity:94db[2.83v/1m],nominal impedance:8ohms,crossover frequency:800Hz-10kHz,low frequency driver:380mm[15"]pulp cone woofer[1500al],high frequency driver:75mm[3"]pure beryllium compression driver[435Be]+38mm[1.5"]-throat Bi-radial horn,ultra high frequency driver:25mm[1"]pure beryllium compression driver[045Be]+8.9mm[0.35"]-throat bi-radial horn.that is all the specs i have as far as my amp budget i have around $1,000.00 to $2,000.00, i would like to stay with a harman kardon brand [or jbl ] within the near future i will have a much larger budget for a permanent system thanks again for the advise corey
As I said that speaker deserves a great amp. For now do yourself a favor and get a value priced tube amp, something like a Cary Rocket 88 or a C-J MV60. If you search this site you will find one or both in your price range. Forget about HK or JBL amps, trust me. These great speakers deserve good amplification and with those specs they're crying out for tubes. Try it.
The amp selection will be in tune with the music you listen to. If you think that the Infinitys sound better than these massive JBLs, than I have to guess that you might be into some rock or other demanding type of music. I would second Jond's choice of tube amps...for your speakers seem to be sensitive enough for them. Furthermore, I would add to the list some sort of pure Class A type of amps, like Clayton S40, with 40 pounding watts for sheer Class A, hot and dynamic power.

No HK or JBL amp, unless the HK is vintage, tube amps will make your speakers sing.

A good choice for tubed power amps are the Sonic Frontiers Power 1, 55watts per channel or the Power 2, at 110 watts, both will run you either between 1-2K respectively. If you chose the power 1, then you might have 1k left, which you can invest in a sort used tubed preamp. Should you chose to go this path, let us know how it works out.

PS: Other tube choices are VK60, BAT tubed amp or the VK200, pure Class A 100watts....around 2k-$1300 respectively.

No HK or JBL solid state amp will allow you to squeeze the best out of that system. JBLs sound either very accurate, but fatiguing in the long run, therefore you need to make you that you get gear that will not add to the brightness or tizziness that those exotic drivers can produce.
I have a friend who owns the K2's. ( S5500 ). They must be the biggest two-way monitors ever made! My experience with the K2's is that they require very high power amps although their sensitivity might suggest otherwise.

I have * seen * pictures of three systems with K2's, one using Levinson 33 amps , second with 4 rowland amps - active , third with two 300W mac's & stellavox's for the highs .Even my friend is using a Mac 350w amp which he plans to bi-amp with another. I have also seen the owners manual in which they recommend up to 300w amps in bi-amp config.

Most of the K2 systems i have seen are very complex using multiple amps , external crossovers & driven in active mode etc. I guess you need to do all this to get them
to sound their best. I don't mean to put you off with all the complexities you can very well try a simple tube amp as suggested & see if it's your cup of tea.Good luck.
This is a perfect example of why not to have a website[harman.com] where someone can buy 30000.00 speakers by dropping them into a shopping cart and proceed to pay with a credit card. If I would have had 5 minutes to tell him he would have been better suited buying the best in the HT section of "best buy", he would be 27,500.00 richer.

Im going on my 3rd pair of K29800s in 3 months and have tried several amp combinations with them. The most response I got from them was in a single amp bi-wire configuration with the crossovers fully to the right using a bridged Cello Duet 350 for each speaker. Even though the speakers are VERY efficient they do prefer to be provided excessive amounts of power. I found the sweet range to be in the 400-800W range. They sounded good with many different sounding amps including Cello, B&K, JBL Synthesis, Meridian Amps. Im not really sure what to say other than I am a bit upset he is willing to pay 30K for speakers and 1k for the amp. That equates to a 5000.00 pair of speakers getting a 166.00 amp.....? Get real! Get a HTIB.
Jbl_user,
Good response! I read a rave review of these speakers in HiFi+ magazine a while back and it really piqued my interest. I hadn't really considered JBL in the context of high end sound but I was obviously wrong. Just wondering have you tried any high-powered tube amps with your speakers? I mean something really beefy like some of the bigger models from VTL? I'm a confirmed tube fan and just think with an extremely flat/neutral speaker like the K2 tubes can inject just the right touch of warmth. Anyway thanks for the contribution, it's always good when a real user of the product in question can step forward.
Jond, there seems to be a segment of JBLs, especially with horn loaded mid/tweeters and a large woofer that are sold overseas, especially Japan and Europe, that do not get to see the light of day in the US, because JBL or Harman Corp has decided that for the US market, they can sell junkie speakers that meet a certain point. Once in a while, you can see these overseas JBLs appear in Audiogon and even used, they can easily run you around 3K a pair, for the last pair I saw.

PS: Never thought that these JBLs were that power demanding. Of course, relative sensitivity means squat if the impedance curve of the system is not benign for amp at hand.
Jond,

As a matter of fact the most recent pair will be soon mating up with some CJ Premiere 8s. I imagine that they will sound fantastic and will bring a touch of warmth to the system. The CJs will have a Meridian 800, 861 V 4 on the front of them so the combination should be interesting.

I also know that Viola has had great experience with the K2S1000 in the Asian markets where the K2s are most popular. The 1000 is the new center channel designed to be used as a center channel in the theater/multi-channel arena matching the k29800s prowice and capability.

I am working on getting some new Viola equipment, it might take me a bit of time and effort to get it but I can't wait till the day I do.

Regards!
Jbl_user,
How about a little info on Viola? Dimly in my memory I remember something about it being a post Cello endeavour put together by ex-Cello employees. Is that correct? I have to say it's not a brand you hear about at all, I'm assuming the electronics are ruinously expensive? Please enlighten us, an my apologies to Croweshead5215 for hijacking his thread this is all just very interesting.
here is a bit of info...I got on the inside:)
Viola Labs - An Overview
Viola Audio Labs was founded in 2001 by Tom Colangelo and Paul Jayson, the two key designers who had
worked with Mark Levinson at Mark Levinson Audio Systems(MLAS) and later at Cello.
Whilst at MLAS, Colangelo was responsible for the design of the ML-1, ML-2, ML-3, ML-4, ML-5, ML-6, ML-
6A, ML-7, ML-7A, ML-8, ML-9, ML-10, ML-11 and ML-12 products. At Cello, Colangelo and Jayson
designed among other products the Audio Suite, Audio Palette, Encore preamplifiers, Performance
amplifiers, RDAC D/A converter and the Stradivarius speaker line. They have therefore been responsible
for some of the most important high end audio products produced the last twenty years, which gives them
the most consistent success record of any design team in the industry.
Their objective with Viola Labs is to design products that are sonically neutral, as they believe that only
through sonic neutrality can the listener truly be drawn into the music and experience the essential emotion
within the music.
Taking their earlier work at Cello as a baseline and by paying meticulous attention to all aspects of the
manufacturing process from design, through build and test, to final inspection and packing, they are
producing a product of the highest possible quality that will maintain its performance and give great pleasure
to the owner over a life time of use.
The present line-up comprises:
Reference Series
Spirito Reference Pre Amplifier US Retail Price US$35,000
Bravo Reference Power Amplifier US Retail Price US$29,800
Classic Series
Cadenza Pre Amplifier US Retail Price US$16,000
Symphony Power Amplifier US Retail Price US$16,000
All of the above are now available and being shipped, though supplies of the Symphony power amplifier are
limited as this has only recently been released and Viola are still fulfilling a backlog of orders to Japan.
Future high-end products from Viola will include mono-block power amplifiers, an active cross-over and a
phono amplifier.
Distribution has already been appointed in Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, China and Thailand.
The Cello products were always popular in Japan and the Viola line has been even
more enthusiastically received. The Spirito and Bravo have received several
awards in the Japanese high end magazine Stereo Sound (shown left). Colangelo
and Jayson's work at MLAS and Cello also received numerous "State of the Art"
and "Component of the Year" awards from this influential magazine.
At the Japanese High End Audio Show last year the Spirito and Bravo enabled
Viola Products to receive the "Best Sound" award. Viola products also received
"Best Sound" awards last year at shows in Thailand and Beijing.
Brief details of each product are given below:
The Spirito is a modular preamplifier that uses open architecture to give the maximum flexibility for
customisation, upgrading and expansion. It offers a level of transparency and musicality that is state-of-theart.
The unit comprises a mainframe with a separate power supply chassis. The mainframe has one slot
reserved for a dedicated controller card and ten open card slots that are loaded from the rear and permit the
unit to be configured to suit a wide range of applications. The basic Spirito configuration requires one V20
input card (3 inputs - 2 balanced and 1 unbalanced) and one V30 output card (3 outputs - 2 balanced and 1
unbalanced). Both cards occupy two slots. Future developments will include D/A, Phono and EQ modules.
Discrete volume and balance controls are located on the front panel. All other unit functions are controlled
by a large touch sensitive display, also located on the front panel. This allows the unit to be easily
configured and controlled in stereo, multi-channel and multi-room modes. Inputs can also be named
according to the source connected to them.
Software is supplied with the unit to allow a Palm Pilot to be used as a remote control for the Spirito via an IR
link. New software for the controller card may be easily loaded to allow the addition of new functions.
The Spirito uses Class A discrete circuitry and is fully balanced throughout. Future development will provide
opportunity for phono stages, DAC and EQ stages.
An innovative method of chassis construction allows all fixing screws to be hidden from sight.
Dimensions:
Spirito: 44.7cm W x 20cm H x 51cm D
PSU: 44.7cm W x 11cm H x 51cm D
Weights:
Amplifier: 4.5kg
PSU: 4.9kg
More details of the system is given in the attached Spirito user manual.
The Bravo Amplifier is a 350W stereo power amplifier with a separate power supply. Like its pre-amplifier
partner the Spirito, the Bravo offers a level of transparency and musicality that is state-of-the-art.
The amplifier can be converted to a mono amplifier and operate in either of two modes - Internal Bridge
Mode or Internal Parallel Mode. Internal Bridge mode is better suited for high impedance loudspeakers (4
ohms and above) that require more voltage. Internal Parallel Mode is better suited for lower impedance
loudspeakers (4 ohms and below) requiring more current. The picture above shows a pair of Bravos (top)
with their power supplies underneath.
The use of a separate power supply prevents Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) produced by the mains
transformer and other inductive components from having any effect on the audio circuitry. The Bravo power
supply is uses what is referred to as an Inductor Input System. This avoids the high peak current demands
that would be placed on the mains supply by a conventional power supply design and therefore minimises
inter-modulation distortion on the power supply “rails” and ground returns. It is also relatively unaffected by
power supply voltage variations compared to conventional designs. An additional benefit of this technique is
that it reduces the stress on the key power supply components, leading to higher reliability and longer life.
Viola amplifiers are designed to ensure highly controlled behaviour under all conditions of use. Particular
care has been paid to the overload conditions that are often encountered under normal use. Soft clipping
circuitry is used to limit sonic degradation if the amplifier is overdriven (voltage overload). Bandwidth control
results in nearly identical small signal and large signal frequency responses. This approach avoids slew rate
limiting (frequency overload). In order to ensure accuracy in the time domain, the bandwidth control has a flat
group delay characteristic. This implies a linear phase verses frequency relationship and means that all
signals pass through the amplifier with the same amount of delay. In plain English the output signal looks
exactly like the input signal, only bigger.
Great efforts have been made to minimise distortion at lower frequencies, because the majority of energy is
encountered at these frequencies in most music. Obtaining low distortion without the use of large amounts of
corrective feedback requires the use of more output devices and more refined lower level stages.
An innovative method of chassis construction allows all fixing screws to be hidden from sight.
Brief Specifications:
Output Power: 350W per channel into 8Ω
1,000W per channel into 4Ω
1,200W continuous average power into 8Ω when in Bridged Mode
2,500W continuous average power into 1Ω when in Parallel Bridged
Mode
Inputs: 1 x Balanced
1 x Fischer
Outputs: 3 pairs of WBT terminals per channel
Frequency Response: 10Hz to 20kHz ± 0.15dB
10Hz to 100kHz, -3dB
Power Bandwidth: 5Hz to 100kHz
THD: Less than 0.1% @ 20kHz and 350W
SN Ratio -105dB @ 1kHz 350W, C weighted
Dimensions:
Amplifier: 44.7cm W x 23.5cm H x 66cm D
PSU: 44.7cm W x 23.5cm H x 66cm D
Weights:
Amplifier: 39 kg
PSU: 57kg
The Cadenza is a wide band pre-amplifier with a separate power supply to provide isolation from Electro-
Magnetic Interference. It has six inputs plus one additional input for an optional plug-in module. Currently a
high quality phono module is in the final stages of development, with other modules under consideration.
Provision has been made to allow the Cadenza to be used with a surround processor. The output level is
controlled by a precision 59 step attenuator. This is an improved version of the attenuator used on Cello
products and gives better sound quality and more consistent operation.
Brief Specifications:
Inputs: 4 x Unbalanced
1 x Balanced
1 x Fischer
1 x Optional input card
Outputs :
1 x Unbalanced
2 x Balanced
1 x Fischer
1 x Tape output on unbalanced connectors
Front Panel Controls: Input selector
Separate left and right channel gain controls
Output level control
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz ± 0.1dB
IMD: Less than 0.005% @ 1V input
THD: Less than 0.01% @ 20kHz 1v input
Noise: -95dB
Dimensions:
Pre-amplifier: 44.7cm W x 9.1cm H x 40.6cm D
PSU: 22.3cm W x 9.1cm H x 40.6cm D
Weights:
Pre-amplifier: 7.3 kg
PSU: 9.1kg
The Symphony is a 250W stereo power amplifier with an integral power supply. Like the Bravo, the
Symphony power supply also uses an Inductor Input System. This avoids the high peak current demands
that would be placed on the mains supply by a conventional power supply design and therefore minimises
inter-modulation distortion on the power supply “rails” and ground returns. It is also relatively unaffected by
power supply voltage variations compared to conventional designs. An additional benefit of this technique is
that it reduces the stress on the key power supply components, leading to higher reliability and longer life.
Viola amplifiers are designed to ensure highly controlled behaviour under all conditions of use. Particular
care has been paid to the overload conditions that are often encountered under normal use. Soft clipping
circuitry is used to limit sonic degradation if the amplifier is overdriven (voltage overload). Bandwidth control
results in nearly identical small signal and large signal frequency responses. This approach avoids slew rate
limiting (frequency overload). In order to ensure accuracy in the time domain, the bandwidth control has a flat
group delay characteristic. This implies a linear phase verses frequency relationship and means that all
signals pass through the amplifier with the same amount of delay. In plain English the output signal looks
exactly like the input signal, only bigger.
Great efforts have been made to minimise distortion at lower frequencies, because the majority of energy is
encountered at these frequencies in most music. Obtaining low distortion without the use of large amounts of
corrective feedback requires the use of more output devices and more refined lower level stages.
Brief Specifications:
Output Power: 250W per channel into 8Ω
500W per channel into 4Ω
Inputs: 1 x Balanced
1 x Fischer
Outputs: 2 pairs of WBT terminals per channel
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz ± 0.15dB
10Hz to 100kHz, -3dB
Power Bandwidth: 5Hz to 100kHz
THD: Less than 0.1% @ 20kHz and 250W