Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Why do we like the music that we like? In pop music it was thought to be a generational thing. I'm applying that same theory to jazz, and it works out to a point. Beginning with "swing", which was before "Bird", he brought in "be-bop" which phased into "hard-bop" and  what I call "modern jazz" that covers a lot of territory.

"Bird" was active from the 40's to 55 when he died. Most will agree, no one person made a greater change in jazz than Charlie Parker; since his time, jazz has branched out in different directions, all related to Charlie Parker, and morphed into what most people call "modern jazz". That has gone on through the 60's and into the 70's.

We did a side step with "fusion", but we went back to "modern jazz", which is pretty much a catch all category. I can't see where we have gone past "modern jazz"; somebody keeps talking about "free jazz" which sounds like "chaos" to me and a lot of other people; anyway, that "free jazz" never quite catches on, I know I have a lot of it I would like to sell if anyone is buying.

If there is some great movement after "modern jazz" that has eluded me, would someone please bring me up to date. I stated music and jazz was a generational thing, and I haven't gone anywhere in a fundamental sort of way for decades; am I stuck, or is jazz stuck?
Very nice player, Oliver Jones.  Nice clips.  Student of Oscar Peterson and shows it.  He doesn’t quite reach the amazing technical command of Peterson, but who does?  Lighter touch and not quite as rhythmically assertive as Peterson, but brings a somewhat more modern harmonic approach to the table as your second clip (Mark My Time) demonstrates; as opposed to Peterson who always stayed in that place between Swing and bebop.  I like him.  Thanks.  

https://youtu.be/tvS4Mm_bVEY
Jazz is never stuck. Whether we can unstick ourselves to understand, appreciate, or like where it has gone is another matter. There is a big gulf between today’s Jazz  (modern, by definition) and “free” jazz. The great majority of today’s jazz is not free jazz; but, stuck it is not. 

**** There is no new and old.  Just the good and the other kind.****

Not sure about the first sentence, but the second is exactly right.  
The Duke answered this question years ago.   I don't know why people insist on making Jazz some kind of fly by night music that goes in and out of style like some teenage top forty 'hit'.

The 'good stuff' goes through life with you.   There is no new and old.   Just the good and the other kind.

Today I was watching a thing on youtube about 'million dollar' stereo systems.   The most beautiful rig I have ever seen.   Had three 10" RTR decks.  Power amps the size of dog houses.   You get the picture.    One of the tunes he played on the RTR was "house of the rising sun".   Didn't catch the female singing.   Couldn't hold a candle to Dee Dee, but there it was.

Now read the wiki article.   Note the dates, times and places concerning the 'origin' of House of the rising sun.  Without doubt, it goes in the 'good stuff' column.  Humans will be playing it forever.

Only the 'other kind' is blown away by time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_the_Rising_Sun#Origin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sOygJsLDc4&list=RDMM6sOygJsLDc4&start_radio=1

Cheers