Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Her early voice was even much better than on the clip Frogman gave us .At one time I had the first  recording she ever made, if memoryserves me right(which it often does not) it was made right after WW II .I believe there is a CD of it.
Would love to hear that, Schubert.  Be sure to post if you ever come across it.  Thanks.  
Here you go, Schubert. Her first recording according to her official website. 1946, with the Mercer Ellington Orchestra. You are correct; beautiful clarity in her voice. Just beautiful. I suppose it’s not uncommon for all voices to lose some of that beautiful youthful timbral clarity as the body ages; while also gaining artistic clarity (Sometimes, and the goal for all true artists as you know; definitely in her case, imo). Interesting to me is that one of the most obvious differences is the absence of the nasality that one would hear more and more of as she aged. Not unlike a prominent quality in Billie Holiday’s voice...her admitted main influence.

http://www.carmenmcrae.com/PASS%20ME%20BY.mp3

http://www.carmenmcrae.com/RECORDINGS1940s50s.htm

Schubert, I have some of Carmen’s earliest LP’s, and regardless how young her voice was, it needed some polish; she had to learn a thing or two before she became the Carmen I adore.

"If memory serves me right(which it often does not)".

Carmen definitely had a learning curve, she wasn’t instant.

Rok, I checked on that "Curtis School of Music", and found that it's such a "hoity toity" place, that no one could "credibly" claim discrimination. That ends that for me.

I discovered a March 84 issue of "Stereo Review": check Rodrigues; picture this guy coming home with a box under his arm that says: "Digital Laser Beam Player", and his wife is at the door to greet him;

"...Now, don't tell me, Maurice, let me guess. With that quad thing, we sat in the middle of the room with speakers all over the place. Now, with this laser-beam gadget, we put on lead-lined aprons and listen to it while we hide behind the sofa...."

I had that "quad thing", and I thought it was hot stuff. These old magazines are fun; antiquated, but fun.