Is SACD really this lousy?

Bought a Sony SCD 1 and this is boring me in my system. Have had it for 2 weeks and just cannot get interested. Previously I had a CAL CL2o and we were astounded by how the DVD DAD's sounded-fall into the soundstage, reach out and touch the performers. Also the dynamic range used every bit of the VTL's 275 watts into the Maggies. The 44/16 side of the CL20 was at best lukewarm. This after coming off a Meridian 508 20. Then I tried the Wadia 270/27ix. In my system, all the write ups were proven wrong. Then I went to the Linn Ikemi. It was great except I couldn't forget that sound of the DVD's with the CL20. Sooooo....off I went to get the Sony SCD 1. I don't have a dealer here but trusted it wouldn't dissappoint. WRONNNG! I called Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound to see if he could do anything. He said it was a great player, it's just that Sony missed the boat when it came to the analog section. He is in fact drawing up a mod to deal with this very thing that he says will approach the Accuphase. That however will cost anywhere from $1500 roonies for the SACD side to $3500 for both. Anybody have any comment on this or am I the only one experiencing disappointment?
jmazur402f

Showing 3 responses by jmazur402f

Mikeg-also would be interested to hear your comments on the Evo amp. I was up in Minnesota to listen to one of the first ones and it failed. I use VTL MB250's that have 6550's in permanent triode config. The rep from Bel Canto says that it will retain the tube flavor and speed things up.
Thanks Mikeg. This is my first post on a service like this and yours is the first useful response that I have seen. The fact of a 400 hour break-in is staggering. I do have the 30 minute PAD CD. So does this mean that I will need to break-in the SACD for 400 hrs as well?
Carl, re: analog Been there, done that. To all, re: Character assassination and judgement-being from a racing background, I like to try new cutting edge things. Some cars go fast, sometimes you DNF. You pick your path. Why does there have to be allienation inferred just 'cause someone is digital or vinyl. Hang tight-we're all in it for the music!