Is a Denon 5803 too much for B&W CDM 1NT's?

I have just recently really taken up getting into my system. Over the last few months I have been through a whole bunch of different equiptment some of which I really have liked and others I haven't. My question is, I now am running B&W CDM-1NT's as my mains along with a M&K subwoofer. I have been using a Denon 4802R for the last two years with no problems what-so-ever. I recently purchased a Denon 5803 to give it a shot. I figued that it has some of the features that the 4802 doesn't have, which I might enjoy....But is this too much power for the cdm's? They have a raiting of 120 watts, while the denon 5803 puts out a whole 170 watts. Is this just going to give me more headroom, or should I really worry about damaging the speakers.

Thanks for any assistance you can give. I will appreciate anything you can offer. I have been looking for information regarding this topic on the forum, but have not found anything that really addresses this specific question.

Ben
bearotti

Showing 2 responses by joeylawn36111

Audiobugged, you answered my question also. I am getting a Monster 2250 power amp, and was thinking about B&W's. Thanks
Gonglee is right. When low power amps go into 'clipping' - this happens when the output signal voltage is equal to the power supply voltage - this produces many high frequency harmonics which are routed to the Tweeter by the speakers' crossover, burning it out. It's a lot harder to clip a big amp - higher power supply voltages, etc. Your personal set of transducers would probably burn out first (time to turn down the volume once the bleeding starts) :>0 ;)