input impedance load on a cartridge.

I am interested in purchasing an MC cartridge that prefers a 400ohm "load"from the pre amp. My head amp for MC cartridges provides 110ohms which is the highest recommendation for the unit (according to the manual). In theory I should be able to change the resistors to alter the load but I am worried that going beyond the recommended value would harm the pre amp/head amp.

Can I alter the resistors to accommodate the cartridge or should I be looking for a different cartridge (or a different head amp)?

I am particularly interested in the possibility of changing the load. The alternative cart/pre option is of secondary interest.

128x128oharchie
Thank you.

Outside of doing harm to the components, would there be any detrimental effect on the sound if I were to go outside of the manufacturers recommended specs?

This an Audio Research MCP-1 head amp that I am thinking about modifying.

http://www.audioresearch.com/ContentsFiles/MCP1_Manual_Schem.pdf

See page 3.

In my experience  Often times the best sound is not anywhere's near the manufactures recommended load.  I have a herron phono stage and have preferred almost all cartridges on it with no additional low just their "infinite loading"
 These are cartridges that are calling for 200 ohm load in some cases that I am running at almost 47K 
no hard and fast rules just experiment
Outside of doing harm to the components, would there be any detrimental effect on the sound if I were to go outside of the manufacturers recommended specs?
No.  Just as analogluvr stated above, sometimes you just need to try it and listen.

Also, the load difference between 100 and 400 ohms is pretty small and you might not even hear a difference.  Depends on the cart and all the associated gear.

I always try to get close to the recommended load, but you never know.

I have owned the same exact unit you have and many, many more that you can replace the resistors in.  You can drive yourself crazy, if you get to concerned about it.
This is great advice.

The cart is a Hana EL which has a manufacturer suggested load impedance of >400ohm. My MCP-1 would be giving it 110 ohm.

Negligable or... important?

What would this actually do?

Only reason I’m fussing is because buying and returning carts is not as easy as say a cable or other such things.

Negligable or... important?
No.  I'd leave it as is and see how it sounds.  Absolutely will not hurt anything.