I have an idea for an audio product what should I do?

Without giving too much away it involves working with smaller digital amplifiers that are modified for a certain application. Should I contact an electrical engineer or someone in the business already who builds audio amplifier products or...?? I have zero experience myself with building any audio related products but I think the idea I have is intriguing. Thanks for any help!

128x128blue_collar_audio_guy

Showing 1 response by deadhead1000

You are way ahead of yourself. Put your idea in writing, draft up a "business plan" that describes the product, the users for it, possible benefits, expected cost/profit. If you haven't done that and you haven't put it down your idea in a clear written document, then you're not ready to talk to anyone.

That's what any investment company or business would want to see (even Shark Tank) -- even an electrical engineer needs a high-level document, they need to know what you want them to build before even they can help you.

I hear that a lot here in Silicon Valley -- someone has an idea in their head, but they haven't thought it through. Putting your thoughts and ideas on paper does two things, makes you think through the whole product, and provides some protection - if it's really new, you can get a Patent. A Patent search is critical, it might already exist (sadly for you) but has never been used for some reason (which can help you). A Patent search is not cheap, but necessary.  And again, you need to document your idea before getting a search started.

Good luck, don't forget about us when you're rich and famous.