How to DIY yourself very nice Class D monoblocks

If you want to know what the hoopla is about Class D and want to put together a very nice sounding kit I have a starter recommendation for you.

Go to Parts Express and search for "ICEPower ASP"
Next, look online for Ghent Audio. They make many sets of cases.

You'll need a high power soldering iron, and screw skills.
Between those two, you can put together a very nice monoblock for around $500 a piece.

I highly recommend both. I have no financial interest in either. 
You may need wiring kits, so make sure to order appropriately.
erik_squires
Well, that certainly IS what is claimed. Interestingly, and sadly, none of the reviews I’ve found explain it. I know of no class B circuit which allows an amplifier to operate without significant distortion through the zero V crossing point, which is why I said earlier it couldn’t be. If I was reviewing such an amp I would have made it a point to explain this.
FWIW Electro Voice sold a class B with low distortion back in the 1950s. To avoid spikes due to collapse of the magnetic field in the output transformer that transformer was not exposed to DC- just audio. So the amp didn’t have any crossover artifacts. But its tricky and expensive to do, so the idea didn’t catch on.

Nice thread BTW.

Do you want to stay away from Chinese or Euro stuff?

Here’s quality USA made Class-D audio kits, these look to be great value with some big wattage’s and they use linear power supplies!!!, "said" to sound as good as APL’s Alex Peychev’s $150k tube amp.
http://classdaudio.com/amplifier-kits.html

It also looks like they maybe be producing GaN fet technology kits soon, as they are linked to the GaN site along with Purely Emotional Audio
http://gan-fet.com/2014/02/13/desert-rocks/

Cheers George
My TI tpa3255 evaluation board is the best solid state amp I have ever had.  My references for ss amps are mid-level pieces I have owned such as Belles 150a, Bryston 4BST, B&K, Aragon 8002, NAD units and such.
@rotarius

That is an interesting find! 300W/channel, and uses a very high (relatively) 2.1 MHz switching frequency!

It would be really nice to see frequency vs. phase plots for these amps.

Best,

E

Erik,

Looks like 500K switching to me.  The oscillator is in the megs.....not the PWM frequency.....maybe I don't know nothin.

George,

Your link to Gan-fet is from 2014 and Purely Emotional Audio is an offshoot of classdaudio.  They have yet to produce anything using that name.