How to choose a cartridge you can't hear on your system?

My personal cartridge history has gone from a humble Goldring to a decent Benz H2 and finally a Dynavector XV-1s.  Recently my 3 year old decided to break the needle on both my Dynavector and Benz (two arm setup).  This tragedy prompted a me to send my Dynavector out for re-tipping and the purchase of a new cartridge to sustain me through the expected rebuild period.  I bought a decent Sumiko Evo III.  

All of this is to come around to a realization.  In many ways, each cartridge brings something new to the table.  The Evo II had more solidity or weight to the sonic presentation than the others.  The Benz had a seductive warmth and the Dynavector a detailed nuance I most enjoyed.  I don't think it is possible to know ahead of hearing a cartridge in ones own system which brands house sound one prefers.  

I find cartridges to be the hardest audio component to buy.  How do you choose?  
chadlesko
Dealers could have at least a few set-ups for auditioning.
Not my problem, though. When and if I am ready to pay thousands  of dollars for a cartridge, I'll make couple of phone calls and get precise advice. You got to have priviledges and connections, then you'll be fine, cartridges or not.
Let me ask a different question.  Can one generalize that a high end cartridge of a manufacturer produce system synergy if their lower end model(s) do?  

I'm curious if it is always a crap shoot or if one could try several "cheaper" models and then commit to their flagship with success.  

I would never do it, this can be a very costly mistake. Besides, many brands don't have anything that I could call 'cheap'. Over $1k is not cheap, at least for most.
I’m not sure how easy this problem--and it is a problem, at least with expensive moving coil cartridges- is to solve. Ideally, a dealer would have a few different cartridges set up, using the same arm and table. But, dealers are typically limited to certain brands. Perhaps a show- but why would a manufacturer bother? (Assuming they took the time to do the necessary set up and demonstration, they are comparing against their competition and I don’t see that happening). Listening to the cartridge in question in someone else’s system --and any system but yours is ’someone else’s’--isn’t going to tell you much- sure, you could swap out cartridges on that system and hear the difference on that system, but it still doesn’t tell you how it synergizes with your set-up.
Didn’t Fremer do some comparisons, digitize them (yeah, I know) and put them up for public evaluation on his site when he had the Continuum table and arm?
I sort of played it safe- used Lyras for many years until my dealer at the time said he thought I’d really like the Airtight. So he brought it over and installed it. I guess if I decided I hated it, he would have taken it back. But I didn’t hate it, I grew to appreciate what it did. And bought the next model when I felt it was time.
But, we are very limited by this process.
Once I get my second system set up with removable headshell, I plan to play around with some less fancy cartridges, some older ones. I think that will be instructive. In the meantime, I soldier on....
PS: there are people whose views I trust. If @AlbertPorter, for example, who uses the Airtight, says the Opus is better than the Supreme by a margin, I take him at his word, even though he uses a different arm, and has an entirely different system than mine.
inna said: "...this can be a very costly mistake. Besides, many brands don't have anything that I could call 'cheap'. Over $1k is not cheap, at least for most."

It sounds like you are using a very inexpensive turntable perhaps something like a Crosley these are not high performance turntables and are not the kind of turntable one would choose to use in a high performance Music Reproduction System. In your Crosley you probably would not want to spend more than about $80 USD for a phono cartridge. Now on the other hand a proper turntable with tonearm for a high performance Music Reproduction System would cost you probably more than $8000 USD so of course in that situation a $1000 USD phono cartridge is not expensive at all especially when you consider the cost of a high performance phono preamplifier to go with your turntable. If you want high performnace vinyl playback $1000 is actually a very modest amount to spend on a phono cartridge most of the best phono cartridges cost much more than that.