How much power is enough for B&W Nautilus 804's?

Hello all ... from a recommendation in an earlier post, I went with bi-amping my Nautilus 804's (120 wpc Bryston 3B-ST on tweeters, 250 wpc Bryston 4B-ST on woofers). Per that post, plenty of power on the low end does wonders. It does sound great, but still find the bass not all that (bass player since I was 12 - a few yrs ago). In your opinions, would there be anything to gain by adding another 4B-ST to the mix on the low end? In bridged mode, each pumps 800 wpc into 8 ohms. Would I be doing anything other than putting my 804's into harm's way?

Your advice appreciated. Ed
ekurilla

Showing 2 responses by lloydelee21

You've got loads of power in the 804s...loads. The 4B-ST is a mighty powerful amp, reknowned for its bass power. You're already bi-amped with another Bryston.

I would suggest if you wish for more powerful bass, other than room placement, you may wish to go for bigger speakers or a well-integrated sub option. If it is simply bass you seek, there are some very good options that will take time to integrate...but can be well worth it.

Aside from B&Ws own subs, you could try JL Audio, Velodyne DD-18, possibly REL.
i would go for 1 or 2. Personally, try 2 first...because my guess is that in the short run...properly set up you'll get loads of bass...and potentially in the long run, you'll change 804s for something (even if its 10 yrs from now)...but i would not be surprised if you kept the sub in any event. I still use mine, and i've got some pretty big speakers today...but i set the sub at below 41hz. Just my two cents. good luck!