How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
Post removed 
There's no technical reason to conclude getting gain in a pre-amp stage won't sound better.
Sure there is. Gain means an active circuit. And all active circuits add noise, distortion, phase and frequency distortions. If you don’t need the gain from the preamp, you can avoid these problems by eliminating the preamp. 
My point was that one way or another, you do need gain, no matter what you want to call it, or which box you think it should be in, or not be in. Most amps have 2 or 3 stages of gain, even if you think there’s only one.

Also, a volume control will add noise, crosstalk, and phase error. You don’t need gain to screw things up. And some volume controls do more damage than multiple amp stages would.

Ben - you’re welcome! Let me know how it goes.
Post removed