How important is spending time with your gear?

In another topic we're talking about digital input speakers, and it got me thinking about something entirely different. 

How important is it to spend time physically close to your gear, vs. enjoying it's output?  If you could have your gear in another room, or closet, and you were left with just your speakers with no audible downside would you do it?  Would you put your gear away and enjoy the empty space or do you need the physical closeness?

Clearly turntables make this a challenge, and there will be some poopy heads which don't get the question or can't stretch their imagination but for those who can, would you?

erik_squires

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy during times I'm not listening. When listening I go for total dark out room, eliminating distraction of physical sensory inputs allows one to 'see' further into music. Having said that, I do like the glow of tubes from my pre and 300B amp, 845 tubes are far more than glow, space heaters and like 100 watt light bulb. My SE blacked out 845 tubes much more of the nice glow.

Great topic of discussion; thanks.

I seem to have no stunningly beautiful electronics at my price point but I am fine with seeing them, or not seeing them.

I have been thinking a bit of a 'speakers only' listening room lately but my rack is three low shelves so it's less visually intrusive. But it does take up floor space that could be open instead if the rack was gone.

But, since the burlwood finish on the speakers is so beautiful (putting our furniture to shame) it's a toss-up on them being visually 'invisible' for me while listening; they already sonically are.

I'll continue the thread drift. The best visual aspect regarding my stereo room is the view out my two windows. It doesn't hurt that the window glass doesn't affect the imaging enough to bother me.

Am I a bad guy for dropping my girlfriend off early so I could go home and listen to my new DAC ?