How hot should a McCormack DNA-225 get?

I recently picked up a 6 year old one that was just factory checked. The heat sinks get pretty hot with no signal, and with music at moderate levels (feeding Infinity 8 Kappas, nominally 6 ohms) for half an hour, get almost too hot to touch! I'll call the factory and ask, but thought a voice of user experience could be more "honest." It is on a bottom shelf of a cabinet with open front and large openings in the back. At the time nothing was above it (over 2 feet of air.) The DNA-225 is replacing my 20 year old Adcom GFA-555 which would only get "hot" after a good while of cranking out some tunes.

Also, in a different room, the amp is tripping a 15-amp circuit breaker at turn on. Nothing else is on at the time. The original location may have been on a 20-amp circuit, I'll have to check.

Both these things make me wonder if the factory missed something. Ticket said they just biased some transistors. Any owner expeiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
kartracer

Showing 1 response by bdgregory

I'm not familiar with MacCormack amps, but maybe someone with a DNA225 will chime in. The behavior you describe isn't at all unusual for power amps though. I had an Ayre V-3 that ran too hot to touch. I was speaking with Ayre tech support once and the guy said that's how they should run . . . "hot is good" were his exact words.
As for the rack position - I prefer to keep amps that run hot out (there are amps that run cool too) in the open (ie on amp stands, not in an enclosure), but as long as your rack is as open as you describe this may not be an issue. I would keep 2 ft above it open.

It's also not unusual for it to trip a breaker - especially if you have other equipment powered by that circuit. I imagine the amp is drawing maybe close to 10 amps on startup. If the amp is the only thing on that breaker - it may be worth checking out the amp again though.

It's worth a call to tech support, but it's possible this is all entirely normal