How Do Odyssey Amps Stack Up To McCormack Amps.

Are they in the same ballpark or even in the same league. I have heard McCormack and like what I have heard...but have not had a chance to listen to any Odyssey amps. They will be running Vandersteen 2CE Sigs.

p.s. I was looking at the DNA225 in the McCormack line.
jstanton6e67

Showing 1 response by 134b4

I here allot of B.S. being thrown around from individuals who obviously have not tested the amps side by side. Being that they are fairly cheep I have been through the dual mono Odyssey with 120,000uf and the McCormack 125.
My digital source is a Cary CD-303/200. Phono is Herron Audio VTPH-1 hooked up to a nice custom table. Interconects are Valhalla and wire is Tara. I like tube pre amps so I own 3 (so I am a bozo some times) Audible illusions 3A, Herron Audio VTSP and Lamm LL2. The amps I use the most are a pair of DeHavilland Aries. Just so you know I gave the Odyssey away to a great friend. I played and tweeked it for about a year. Real nice amp for the $$, but out of it class when compared to more serious equipment. Listen - its a great amp for under $2,500. It has serious competition within that price range - but not allot. Once you go into the 3K and a little more range a large bulk of amplifiers outclass it in 'every' area. Granted, even in the very high price arena there are dogs as in the cheeper arena there are some stars. As for the Odyssey comparing to the McCormacks -you need a 'decent' system to hear the differences. If you dont have a system that will really resolve music for you - then buy what ever you can get cheepest and buy used. If you have something that resolves music in a more refined manner you will find that the McCormacks are easyer to listen to. In the right system they both have enough slam to scare you - really, but thats volume not refinement. The McCormacks go a couple of steps deeper into he music, but you need the ancillary equipment to hear it - and that how one should make decissions. I think that the Odyssey amp can balance real nice with a 5K to 6K well picked system. McCormacks will balance well in a 7K to 12K well picked system. In a 6K and less - both amps seem to sound very much alike in all areas.
I hope this info helps -