Higher End DACs

I am looking for a DAC (potentially streamer&DAC) to be paired in a mcintosh system (c1100/611). Its my first foray into digital streaming and I have no need for a CD player.

I see a lot of love for Esoteric, however, most seems to be around their transports? Are they not as renowned for pure digital streaming and/or standalone DACs? I see DCS (for instance) often referenced for standalone DACs - how does Esoteric compare?
ufguy73

Showing 6 responses by heaudio123

bo reminds me of a certain cable promoter :-)   electro-smog ... there is a new term to laugh over at the water cooler.
The RF "sauce" is not latency influenced. How much RF is bandwidth influenced. If you are making the router/switch work hard (latency has little impact on that), then the RF signature goes up.
Again agree with djones51, w.r.t. -200db, that no one can hear it, and when the light of day is shined on the claim (properly administered test), the claimed ability to detect this disappears.

dmance, the only paper i could see that you referenced was on human hearing and fourier uncertainty principle which was sort of sham, hence why I don't believe it was ever published in a peer reviewed journal:  https://nrc-publications.canada.ca/eng/view/accepted/?id=ca9f5091-2658-449e-b08e-b071712acbf0
That paper was a joke, but unfortunately there are too many science "pump" sites and audio sites are always desperate for content.

Were you referencing another paper? 

djones51:"I don't doubt that the SGM Extreme is a great server streamer but dual Xeon processors and 48 gigs of ram? All you're doing is storing and streaming music not 3D rendering and VR design and video editing, isn't this thing a bit of overkill?"

Have to agree with djones51 on this, this, this is starting to sound silly. The Roon software + Windows (which one assumes has been minimized to the required process) is going to use what 1/6 - 1/4 of this memory or less. What do you do with the other 48 gigs? -- You could store days of uncompressed music in there, but that seems like overkill. On the other hand, that extra memory does draw more power and it is more PCB areas for an RF antenna.

w.r.t. "Renderer" ... that would only really apply if you are taking advantage of Roons DSP capability, otherwise, really just a server.

I can't support the statement either, "your dac can only be as good as what it's fed. the server performance is a limitation to that. " as it is predominantly not true. Yes, if you are using DSP capability in Roon, that is going to change what is coming out, and if you have a noisy electrical connection (solved with optical isolation between DAC and server), then that goes away.  Async USB, Ethernet, etc. the DAC is not getting anything from the server except a bit stream, and it is getting it in a home environment error free. Any clocking information is local to the DAC. "Vibration Control" .. in a server?  The unavoidable power spikes (overkill process ramping up/down, oversized memory, etc.) are going to have orders or magnitude more impact on jitter in a digital signal than vibration. w.r.t RF, right-sizing the processor requirements will go far further ... so you don't need ventilation holes, or things that can cause vibration.
We can't address an argument, we refuse to consider our own bias, so we will insult and not think. Perhaps our bias is at play, or perhaps we have ignored other variables that could create perceived differences?  That is easier than putting thought into what is really happening. It is easy to link to pop-science articles than it is to understand what they are discussing and/or research if there is validity to their claims. It is much easier to claim we hear a difference than it is to validate that claim. It is easy to claim a difference is because of A, then to validate is it A.

I don't read this stuff in a book, but I may write the book (or the articles), and they are based on unbiased testing, but you don't need "testing" to know best practices w.r.t. keeping jitter low, reducing RF emissions, reducing vibration sensitivity, or what impacts jitter most .... the hifi audio reproduction industry is not the bleeding edge of technology.  There are many industries where verified low jitter, verified low noise, verified signal quality are important.
One does not normally start with a conclusion, they start with a premise, "The audible effects caused by RF noise are difficult to objectively measure yet are simultaneously subtle and obvious. Suffice it to say that they manifest as a reduction in musical transparency and increasedlistening fatigue. " 

Curious how you were able to listen to headphones/speakers which would transmit RF back to your DAC (you claim direct connection, no amplifier).

In your white paper, you use a log-periodic antenna rated for 1Ghz-18Ghz (or 1Ghz -2Ghz model dependent). That will be great to cover intentional radiators, but most RF energy from unintentional sources is well below that. Testing below 1GHz would be far more useful in most environments. Curiously you show results down to 100KHz for which your antenna would be poor. What you identify as standard radio communications and microwave radio communications in your "Rural Isolation Ambient Zero Baseline" are predominantly VHF and UHF television (UHF = 470-806). (p.s. Your sweep times are way too short for high quality measurements).

Of course, shielding the outside of the DAC doesn't negate likely the largest unintentional RF components (by intensity), namely components inside the DAC. Of course, most DACs do seem to have metal cases which are effectively Faraday cages, so sensitive circuitry with the exception of cable entry would be covered.

W.R.T. claims of "Sounds Better", there is no discussion of the test protocol, the number of testers, etc. so I guess we just "trust you"?  A future test is identified as "Double blind listening tests with a variety of subjects/music"   I would think proving a problem exists would be the first thing to do?