High priced power cords and power conditioners????

I am looking to upgrade to the higher priced power AC cords from JPS Digital, JPS Power and Audience. Should I get a power conditioner like the Audio Magic Stealth or Shunyata Hydra first before auditioning the higher priced cords like the Elrods, etc., or get the cords first.

For those of you who have tried the different power conditioners, which ones do you recommend and what cords do you recommend with your units?

Thanks
bigkidz

Showing 2 responses by tok20000

This is an interesting question.
It is a very good question to.

I would get the cords first.

I am going to go out on a limb here... I have never heard the huge differences between AC conditioners that I have heard between power cords. Maybe it is because I have never tried the Stealth or Shunyata power conditioners? Maybe those two would be night and day from my PS Audio P300 (for my digital)? I do not know either way. What I do know is that the Virtual Dynamics Nite Power Cords that I am demoing are leaps and bounds better than any other power cors I have ever tried by such a margin that I am beginning to beleive that whoever reviews ANY audio product that plugs in a wall MUST review it with SEVERAL different power cords.

Good question Bigkidz.

KF
I am not wholly convinced that AC conditioners can make huge differences in systems. I beleive they can make a difference (a subtle one), but I have never heard a night and day sort of difference.

AC cords on the other hand I think can make huge differences. Why? Because I have heard huge differences in trying out different power cords.

Yes, your system will change sonically when you get an AC conditioner, but that change will probably not be nearly as great as trying high quality AC cords.

Man, I am beginning to sound like a mystic talking about AC cords like this....... A year ago I would have said that power cords only make a subtle difference. Since then, I have seen the light!!!!!!!!! And that light is VD Nite.

KF