Hi Fi Dealers in NYC - where to find them?

Here's a phenomenon I want to share with you. I'm not far from NY City but had a hard time finding decent hifi dealers where I can audition different gears (speakers, pre, power amp, turntable, etc) for buying in the future.

I know hifi dealer is becoming a rarity even in big cities like NYC. The two dealers in NYC I visited were snobbish, pushy and money-oriented. They were not willing to demo equipment that a customer is not buying on spot. I admit I'm not nearly as knowledgable as them. But a potential buyer needs to be educated by ways of auditioning.

Maybe they already have plenty of business. Aren't they loosing potential buyers because of the way they treat customers?

Anyhow, do you know any decent and friendly dealers in NYC, NJ and CT?

Thanks in advance.
r0817

Showing 4 responses by r0817

Buconero117,

What did you mean by "audio abused"? Is Lyric in NYC the same experience as Sound by Singers? If so, I would get the idea.

Is the Lyric good for a visit? Thanks.
I've been to Take5Audio. They're friendly and patient but they didn't have the speakers brand I want to demo on floor. I'll re-visit it and see if they have any update.

Thanks.
Thanks so much for all the info.

Actually I visited Innovative Audio in NYC once and my experience was good. But the gears they demo is beyond my reach - Wilson Audio, Spectron, etc.

I thought they carry Dynaudio line which I was interested in audtioning. However, it seems they're phasing it out with only 2 models availabe - Contour s1.4 and another floor stand model.

FYI, I already got a pair of Harbeth P7ES3 and am in the processing of find the pre/power or integrated amps for it. Also, I need to upgrade my source - a solid SACD/CD player and/or a turntable. I would visit AudioConnection and get some advice about turntables.

Thanks.
Martykl and others,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I'll stick with the more friendly dealers. While I understand the dealers' practice of qualifying customers, I just don't feel fairly treated when I have the intention to make purchase from a dealer who doesn't care about its potential customers.

Building a personal hifi system should be fun. We don't have to take the 'audio abuse' from those arrogant dealers.