Helping a friend build a new system

A good family friend has recently retired and is looking to build a system for his home office. He used to own a nice sound system some 25 years ago but hasn't been actively pursuing the hobby. He was visiting my home a few weeks ago and I guess listening to my system must have inspired him to finally build a new one. He asked me to help set up a new system (new to him, he's willing to buy used). I asked him a bunch of questions to find out what he wants and how much he is willing to spend. His responses are summarized below:

1. Budget -- since he's retired he wants to keep the total system budget to around $7-8K (including cables)
2. Components Needed -- bookshelf speakers, integrated amp, cables. He already has a CD player which would do for now, but he might get into streaming later on. He owns a few hundred CDs.
3. Room size -- around 10x12 with 10 foot ceilings. Fully carpeted with some furniture.  
4. Music genres -- jazz, blues, vocals (he's a big fan of Frank Sinatra, Chet Baker, Billy Holiday, etc.), and R&B
5. Listening preferences -- he is looking for an 'intimate' and cozy experience and wants to try tube amps with high sensitivity bookshelf speakers. He mostly listens at a moderate volume and can be sensitive to high frequencies.

He also mentioned that he has some hearing loss since he's in his early 60s and suffers from a mild case of tinnitus. I'm not sure if this plays a role in the choice of components but I thought it's worth mentioning just in case.

I will really appreciate it if you guys can provide some pointers. Please remember that he is retired so $8k is absolutely the max he can do. System synergy is important. And, please no Tekton or class D recommendations. He really wants to try some affordable tube gear as a starting point.

128x128arafiq
Well, looks like like your friend bought the I-85. Great tube amp but moving in the wrong direction. Most of the great sounding stand mounts have low sensitivity, and require a bit more oomph. If he wants to go the big box/paper cone/horn loaded route and raise the dead, he’s on the right track. I can’t help but think the BBC monitor route (Harbeth, Spendor) might suit his described listening habits better (maybe add a ST85 - now that would be something but there goes the speaker budget).
Sounds like Heresy’s coming in!
brother in law has the VTL ( newer version ) about 2 years now, bought used. Runs his Dynaudio Special 40 just fine in a room 2x your buddy. RAM Tubes EL-34 advised.

Any competent tube tech can service the VTL.
Hi- Fritz here...  Regarding Lalitks coment, all of my speakers come with a 30+ day trial thing to make sure that everybody is absolutely delighted with their performance on their gear and acoustic environment.  BTW-  Most people love them and keep them.   
Folks—he has already bought the VTL integrated.  Let us help him from here !!!!!  The Harbeth P3-ESR is the classic small room speaker.  So called pipe and slippers. I will be honest and say I have never heard them, but pair them with a REL T7i sub and I think you are set. Get some stands that allow them to be be moved easily from the front wall, you are set.