Help needed: bizarre voltage readings

Feeling that my system can sometimes sound a lot worse than usual, I got a voltage meter to check if something was wrong with my AC power. Imagine my surprise when I found that one of the receptacles measured 122V between hot and neutral, 4V between ground and neutral, and 4V between ground and hot. HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE? If hot and neutral are 122V apart from each other, they simply cannot both be 4V away from ground, right? I tried taking the readings several time and they didn't change.

I tried the meter on several other outlets, including a couple that are on the same circuit as the problem outlet, and they all measured okay: 120-122V between hot and neutral, 120-122V between hot and ground and 0V between neutral and ground. So at least we know the meter is okay.

Please help. I'm really confused.
cpclee

Showing 1 response by dpac996

Cpclee,
True or False:
1)You measured this with ALL your components unplugged
2)The receptacle (where you measured 122-0-0) was on a different circuit (off a diff breaker) from the outlet that measured 122-4-4.

If 1 and 2 are both true, I have no idea why the 4 volt offset is there.

If 1 is false: In some power supplies there are diodes that are connect the chassis to ground in both directions. The chassis could be completing a strange trip back to earth ground and is causing the offset.

If 1 is true and 2 is false seek immediate shelter (just kidding)

Please let me know as much about what was going on that day