Help me build a fine PC sound system

I’m looking for current suggestions to a great sounding desktop audio outfit which is pc driven or based completely.
!
Currently I’m using a Creative labs $50 USB sound card, and an Altec Lansing 2.1 desktop speaker system $200..

It really isn’t bad, and loads of fun. It allows me to play back lots of files & CDs I probably would not play too often on my main stereo.

So… I'm looking for recommendations of USB sound cards and a 2.1 speaker setup. Prefferably with both mechanical and software vol control, which will noticeably improve upon the aforementioned gear..

Noticeably.

What are your picks for:

USB sound card
2.1 speakers
2.0 speakers
Subwoofer

…… that will sound better than my above listed stuff? Actually it’s OK, but playing a setup disc it is easy to perceive how many areas of the bandwidth simply aren’t being honestly reproduced… but that’s about the only way to really highlight it’s shortcomings. Otherwise.. it’s well, fun…. And inexpensive.

Mainly the focus is for PC but if it will work with Macs too, that's great!. If it can integrate into a preamp or receiver or DAC too, that would be very nice, but not an absolutely necessary option.

Remember, the idea is a stand alone very, very nice sounding PC sound system first! It should be capable too of replaying file types from 16/44 to 24/192.

Do try to make the rig as inexpensive as is possible, so some reasonable and thoughtful blend of value to performance should be the real guideline.

I’m thinking too, as full range as is possible and likely a sub needs be in the mix… but nothing nutso.

Over achieving and high value items, front and center!

This might be fun…. Wadaya think?

Many thanks!
blindjim

Showing 1 response by mb9061

From someone who's owned Steve's product, along with ridiculously expensive cabling and tried a half dozen DACs in the $1k to $3k price range, the RDac is ridiculously good. For $500. And you don't need a converter with a super duper clock upgrade to get great sound from it.

Not knocking Steve's gear, I did honestly like the Offramp Turbo-3. I'm also glad I got rid of it before he switched to async and the prices bottomed out.

I've never tried a $5k USB DAC by the way Steve, but you'd probably need a $30-$40k system just to do it justice. And I'm not sure you'd grin as much as you would by gambling on a $500 DAC that seems to overperform. The rest of my stuff isn't low-fi but definitely not $30-$40k either.

USB DACs don't suck, by the way Cerrot. They sound just fine.