Help a newbie with low-cost system suggestions

Hi,

I'm looking to get into the separate world at a low budget. Have done some research and am thinking about a used B&K ST-140. Pre-amp to be determined--do you have a suggestion? Currently I use an old Dyna SCA-35 integrated tube amp, and though I really like the tube sound I think it is a little underpowerd for my BIG (don't have the model number in front of me) set of 70's-era JBL's. Phono stage is important to me (have Planar 3 with high-output MC cart.) So, I'm looking for a low-cost new, or not inordinately difficult to find used pre-amp of good quality. Remote would be a nice plus!

Also, a friend of mine may be selling his Vandersteen 2C's, and I have my eye on them. Is the ST-140 a good match? Have I missed out on some other good idea? Or do I need yet more power?

Does this sound like a good plan? Anything else I should consider? Thanks for your help.
leon221580d

Showing 1 response by leon221580d

Wow. What a lot of great info. I guess I'll try to buy the speaks first--my only thought was that if I do that it'll be a while before I can pony up the money for an amp. As mentioned, the Dyna won't do them justice--but maybe I'm wrong about that (?)

Another option I did consider is an integrated tube, or hybrid tube/SS to power the 2c's. May be a while before I can swing that. I'll check the old threads on this question. I have heard good things about the Jolida 1501 integrated which would have enough power I believe. Would this be a good match with the Vandersteens? How would the sound compare to my Dynaco? Thanks so much. Any other input appreciated.