hearing loss and amp choices

Found out yesterday that I have about 25-30% hearing loss in the right ear. Anything around 4000 hz and I display a sharp drop.

Currently looking for a new integrated such as the Vsi75, Sim Audio 700 series, Pass int 25, Belles Aria Sig and my distributor recommended the Rotel RA 6000 series which they are about to carry this  month.

The speakers are the very neutral and flat Studio 100's by ProAc.

My question revolves around the fact of hearing loss vs. expense for SQ. In other words what am i doing to be looking at a 10 or 16 thousand dollar int if my hearing won't appreciate it?

Do I look for something more articulated like the Rotel? Can I appreciate the nuances of tube gear with their richness?

Had Primare stuff (I-30) prior to this but it blew during a power surge and to tell the truth, thought the sound was a bit sterile with this series with little mid bass weight. Now I wonder if all this doesn't matter and should be looking for something with articulation that previously may have thought as "cold".

Just exploring what some of you may have experienced with any hearing loss in regard to previously perceived perceptions to SQ.

arro222

audio and life advice,,,,dont focus on the negative, focus on the positive....identify what sounds good to you, no on what you "think" you might be missing....though high frequencies do indeed have importance, if you understand music and voice, little primary frequencies are above your area of deficiency, only overtones....much of the enjoyment of good hifi still remains, so audition, and chose what sounds good to you....life goes on!!

Amused at comments about the balance settings .  If you have hearing loss in your right ear boosting the signal to the right speaker will only mean that the stereo signal to that speaker will be louder, you still will not hear the left channel any better. 

I have Phonak aids that have different channels for conversation, music and crowded places. The music setting amplifies all frequencies according to my hearing loss so I can hear a big improvement in my music listening. It may change the sound , I do not know, but I certainly hear the highs and mids I was missing.

I can't recommend the Anthem STR highly enough. As someone who also has loss in one ear, it gives lots of flexibility to compensate. And it just sounds wonderful. Huge soundstage (much better than the tube amp it replaced.).

I am 73 and have had hearing aids for over 15 years. I am on my third set of aids. These are over the ear and highly programmable by me through my iPhone. I also have a TV device that allows me to listen through the aids. As far as my stereo system, I can adjust the tone controls on my McIntosh preamp as needed. My hearing loss is mostly high frequency in both ears coupled with very severe tinnitus. FWIW.

The best possible amplifier you can get for hearing loss is a set of the amazing new hearing aids that are now available.  I urge you, and anyone suspecting loss, to investigate this matter.  The best of the new devices are simply astonishing pieces of micro technology.  

They are customizable to your individual hearing profile, each individual ear.  So the high frequencies or whatever is needed can be brought up, (though some highs you can never regain) similar to a graphic equalizer or room correction software, and leave whatever is whole alone.  Think of it as laser eye surgery for the ears... though it's not surgery.  

They are light and inconspicuous, far moreso than eyeglasses.  

And the sound is incredible and natural.  The sound is actually MORE natural than trying to hear through diminished ears because the devices regain the natural sounds that you are otherwise missing.  Furthermore, they have the side benefit of helping diminish or eliminate that annoying tinnitus...  

You might not really realize what you've been missing.  Far from ruining your audio experience, the devices will be an absolutely critical component in the chain; once you hear through the best, you won't want to go back, and you may find yourself waxing evangelical.  

I was very concerned, downright depressed, when I realized I ought get some (I got the Phonak Paradise T9- waterproof), and thought they'd ruin my audiophile experience... FAR FROM IT.  I'm astonished and my audio systems suddenly sprung back to life as I recaptured that high frequency magic... I hear better now than I have for decades; I never even knew what I was missing.

These are not your grandpa's or daddy's aids, unless your daddy is up to date.  Just in the last couple years, the tech has made exponential gains and the best ones are also firmware updatable as the tech continues to evolve (but the best ones are so good now, there's no reason to wait).

They will have more benefits for your audio experience, and your life overall, than any other new amplifier could even possibly approach, no matter how much you spend on the amp.  Get your hearing right FIRST, and then investigate other new components if you even want to because your old components will sound new or better than new with your new ears... wait on any other upgrade... get yourself right first... 

Investigate Widex Moment (a favorite among MUSICIANS, including for use in the studio...) and the Phonak Audeo Paradise... The Paradise is a Swiss-made device coupled with Silicon Valley computer tech...

Get referrals to the BEST audiologist that you can possibly find.

I think you will be amazed and utterly delighted.