HDCD FLAC FOOBAR SPDIF Cary 303/200 HDCD

Im trying to play HDCD encoded files to My Cary 303/200 but they dont seem to be recognised bythe Cary as such. Im Using the HDCD plug in for foobar. When i put in an HDCD CD the HDCD light comes on on the Cary. However when i run the ripped file hrough the spdif into it the light doesnt come on.
Not sure if its just not passing the hdcd signal(set at 24bits/96khz default in HD Audio manger, at 16/44 doesnt help get hdcd) or if the Cary will only recognise HDCD from a disk.

Comments?
bozzy

Showing 2 responses by kijanki

Without decoding dynamics might be lower and data will be only 15 bit since bit #16 is used to switch dynamic range.
Larry_s, AFAIK HDCD coding is a combination of peak extend (improved dynamics) and better filtering with interpolation. Redbook CD has limited dynamic range (otherwise everybody with a boombox or small system would complain about buzzing speakers or neighbors that go crazy), but HDCD compression can be reduced since person buying it most likely has decent system. So, it is possible that dynamics with peak extend are higher but without resemble normal. I also suspect that most of music released (at least initially) on HDCD sounded good to start with (marketing). One of the reason for newer formats (HDCD, SACD) is better copy protection since they loose a lot of money on piracy (SACD cannot be copied at all because of pit width modulation). Could protection be the reason for Cary decoding only from CD?