Having second thoughts on Khorns Need help

Hi all: I am starting a two-channel set-up starting with speakers,amp (tube or s.s.),also c.d. player direct to amp to be decided later. I had decided to go with Klipsch Khorns originally and have done research on the net for about 6 weeks now.
I am now having second thoughts, given the type of music I listen to, mostly rock and LOUD! I am a little concerned about whether the Khorns can produce the bass on this type of music to my liking! I will not be buying these for another 6 months,so I am open to other suggestions for speakers.
I am looking for floor standing full-range speakers that can fill a 12W x 24L x8H enclosed with tight,
chest-pounding bass on it's own, without a subwoofer. I listen to Van Halen,Dream Theater,Greenday,Led Zep,Sherryl Crowe, Colin James,Collective Soul,Metallica,etc. No classical,jazz or hip-hop!
I realize that some speakers sound better with certain types of music and the electronics,(source and amp), plus the room have an effect on how a speaker sounds! I guess what I am looking for(asking), is a pair of speakers that play "rock" well! I can go up to $6500 for a pair. Amp and source to be decided later, depending on the type of speakers! Interested in all comments!Thanks, Huck
huck55

Showing 1 response by c123666

Thiels sound very, very good at high volume with rock and roll; and all other types, too. They are also an excellent value on the used market. The model 3.5, 5, and 7 would be the ones for you to take a look at.

Main issue with thiels is their amplifier requirement; ie, difficult load. For optimal performance something along the lines of a powerful Accuphase, Levinson, Krell, Odyssey, or Clayton would be in order. I drove a pair of thiel cs 2.2 speakers with a Levinson 27.5 and never needed more power; room was about 70% of the size you are going to use. The Levinson sounded fabulous and, at under 2000 used, is a good investment. A Levinson 23.5 is rated at double the power and does not sell for much more than the 27.5.

A pair of Threshold SA110 monoblocks also would work well.

Another speaker manufacturer to consider is VMPS. They provide a wide range of models. The VMPW tower will rock your boat.

The Klipschorns, IF mounted correctly in corners with solid walls extending out on each side, will make good bass down to 40hz. Most rock and roll recordings don't go much further down than this. The Klipschorns can be played quite loud and will work well for rock. Hell, most of the speakers you listen to at live shows are industrial horns for the PA system.