Have any of you ever replaced Magnepan 1.7 or 1.6 tweeters?

It's looking like I might have a problem with my Maggies. A buzzing/crackling in the range of 4k to 8k happens when the music gets more intense, most easily to male voices, when multiple voices join in on a chorus.  The problem just started about nine months ago, but now it's getting worse.  I have checked/replaced everything in my system and wiring and have come to the conclusion it must be the Maggies.
I have never looked at the socks or the staples, much less tried to remove them and work on the speakers.  I am pretty handy and own a wide assortment of mechanical and woodworking tools.  
If you have replaced your tweeters yourself please share some insight.  As I understand it, removing the socks and putting them back on is the most difficult part.  Is that so?  Sounds tedious, but not necessarily difficult. 
How are the tweeters attached?  I would be buying replacement tweeters, not trying to repair my current tweeters.  Are they glued on?  Any trick to getting them off & on?  How do you insure they are down tight and will stay tight?  Any special prep work?  Do you just solder the connections together using regular solder?  I read somewhere there is a special solder you should use.

Lots of question.
Thanks 

Toolbox
toolbox149

Showing 2 responses by noble100

toolbox149,

I think you may want to consider more thoroughly identifying the problem before proceeding to fix it.  It could be some magnets, that are connected at various points on the stretched mylar panel, have loosened and clatter when driven hard.
     I had tis with my 1st pair of Magnepan IIBs years ago.  I didn't think of it as a tweeter issue, however, and noticed it more on the bass and midrange in my speakers.  At higher volumes I noticed a clapping or clattering sound that was more like a vibration.   After researching on the internet, I discovered this was a somewhat common issue that was caused by the glue that Magnepan used at that time failing.  Magnepan had found a glue from 3M that remedied this issue. I decided to just buy a newer pair of used 2.7qrs rather than send them to Magnepan for regluing.
     Your 1.6 or 1.7s are newer and it sounds like you'd rather have them repaired.  So I'd suggest calling Magnepan to get their thoughts and a quote on repairs.  I understand you're  handy but it may be best to have them professionally repaired. I know boxing them up and shipping them to Minnesota is a pain but they may already have developed a better glue and process. Plus they'll likely give you a limited warranty on the repairs.

Hope this helped some,
    Tim

That's a good idea, Randy.  The 1.7i are reviewed as being a big improvement from the 1.6 and 1.7.
     Maybe toolbox149 could find a dealer to take his speakers as a trade-in.  Let them repair them if they're willing.
  Tim