Has Anyone Auditioned an LKS MH-DA004 DAC?

Seems like a lot of DAC for the money.  ($1450-$1600)
melm

Showing 4 responses by chayro

How do you know the mods improve it if you've never listened to it before it was modded?  Ah, I guess that doesn't matter.  
I just don't understand new dacs "blowing away" all of the older more-expensive models.  What didn't they know 5 years ago that they know now.  I will tell you - from my experience with Naim gear, the power supply has a huge impact on the sound.  So I can see where a massive outboard power supply might be of consequence.  But I just don't know what has been recently discovered in the world of dacs.  Seriously. 
@melm - I wasn't really talking about this DAC in particular.  There are countless new digital products on the market that the makers or the masses claim far exceeds what came before and I find it difficult to comprehend why the DCS Rossini is allegedly so much better than the Puccini.  What didn't DCS know when they built the Puccini?  Planned obsolescence?  Possible, but I don't know.  Again, a big power supply is always a factor and I think more companies should offer the option the way Naim does.  Not that I am pushing Naim, but I think that many people have never heard what a really big outboard power supply can bring to a preamp or digital product.  Amplifiers too, of course. 
I would wager that every designer would always opt for a huge outboard supply, but the market wouldn't tolerate it.  I was talking to Peter Qvortrup of Audio Note about the CD 4.1x and he said he had to design it as a 1-box unit for the Japanese market because of space issues.  I think what you're saying about "well designed" is important, but no matter how well-designed, you can't do internally what you can do with a brute force outboard.  I think.  I know Linn has a "Brilliant" PS, but I don't know if it's internal or not.  I leave that to the engineers.