Gryphon Colosseum vs. Karan M2000 monoblocks

I've been on the search for desert island amplification to partner with my Sonus Faber Futuras for a while now. The contenders has been narrowed down to either the Gryphon Colosseum (Stereo) or the new Karan M2000 monoblocks. The price offered are more or less the same.

Preamp will probably be Gryphon Mirage or Pandora if going for the Colosseum, or the KA L Ref.MK3 if going for the Karan M2000. I'm also considering a tube preamp as an alternative - especially the Conrad Johnson GAT.

I would truly appreciate ANY feedback regarding these poweramps and brands. If anyone has experience with both, that would be most valuable.

Source will be Brinkmann Bardo/10.5 tonearm/Pi cartridge for analog playback. Digital playback is yet to be decided, but I'm using an Audio Aero Prestige SE at the moment.

My room is approx. 6x5 square meters. I'm mostly listening to small scale rock/pop/acoustic, classical and electronical music. The system will be used for music mainly, but also film.

Thanks!
128x128sidekick_i

Showing 6 responses by artale

I bought the new Karan KAS 600 after comparing with MBL monos, Pass X250.5, Accoustic Arts Amp III on my MBL 111F. The amp is simply astonishing in delivering lots of sheer power. The amp is never fatiguing against the 83db of my MBLs, the sound is never harsh even when the volume reaches very high levels. The Karan is an amp which prefers musicality over extreme details.
I paired it with a tube preamp (built in Italy) and is the best power-amp I ever heard in my experience.

My 2 cents,
-- Ale
@ Lloydelee21

Thanks for the congrats!
If you are based close to London it should not be difficult to listen the Karan amps.

As far class A vs. class A/B is concerned, Karan amps are said to be in class A,
with a proprietary circuitry. They say it's a form of "dynamic" class A, i.e., the
output transistors are maintained in class A by analyzing the input signal.

Cheers,
-- Ale
Have you been the Karan distributor for US?
What's the current situation in US?

Just as a curiosity, since I'm from Italy and in EU there are no problems
at all concerning Karan distribution.

It would be a pity if such a nice Amp is not accessible in the US market.
Milan (Karan) is a very nice guy: you should definitely contact him
concerning such distribution problems.

Best,
-- Ale
I had a chat with Milan. He confirmed that as for now the only distributor in
North America is someone from Canada who is not distributing widely the product, in particular in US. Actually, Milan is looking for a new distributor for the US market.

@Sidekick_i

Wow! Congrats! What preamp are you using? and speakers?

-- Ale
@Sidekick_i

Thanks for the reply...very nice system indeed!

My system is:

Speakers: MBL 111F
CD Player: EmmLabs CDSA/SE
Preamp: MBi (Tube Preamp made in Italy)
Power Amp: Karan KAS 600
ICs: AudioQuest Sky + Acapella "La Musika" MKII
Speaker Cables: XLO Signature 5.2
Power Cables: AudioQuest NRG5 (PowerAmp), Transparent Reference (Pre), WhiteGold Infinito II (CD Player).

I like very much the combination of the SS Karan with a Tube Preamp.
So, I think you should like the addition of the Callisto.
Let us know!

Cheers,
-- Ale
Hi Sidekick_i,

Any news on the Preamp side?
How did you find the match between the Karan and the Aesthetix?

In these days I'm also trying different preamps with different results. In particular, I had a Spectral 30SS-G2 for a whole week. The Spectral is a very nice Pre but it did not match with the Karan. The sound was sort-of compressed on the mid-high frequencies and instead of presenting the flow as a unique event it was like listening to each instruments in isolation.

Nowadays, I'm trying with a Viva Preamp. This is completely in another league. It preserves the details as the Spectral does but now the music as a soul!
There is a sense of unity in the music message that I was lacking with the Spectral, plus a wonderful reachness in harmonic content.
This Viva preamp is the best I ever listened in my set-up. As a general remark, the Karan matches very well with tubes preamps...at least in my experience.

Cheers,
-- Ale