Got M&K MX-150 THX for Maggies... feelings?

I picked up an M&K MX-150 THX MkII for half price, feeling that it was a reasonably good deal for a 12" sealed sub to pair with my Magnepan surround sound system.

In the past it seems as though people have been impressed with the upper range of the MX-150 and that should come in handy when reaching up to the 80Hz crossover of my surrounds and center, although my mains, 1.6QRs go a bit deeper (50Hz or so).

My question is if anyone has any tips for blending this little guy into the system. I'm expecting to be blown away because my current subwoofer was a brick & mortar super sale special Infinity PS-10 that sounds a lot like my Fender Deluxe guitar amp when it is getting some seriously heinous feedback. Tips and tricks are welcome. Anyone feel that picking up a second would be a worthwhile purchase?

Thanks everyone for your help! By the way, I bought this over an Onix UFW-10 and an REL Strata III so if you think I'm a complete moron, be gentle.

-Steve
skablaw

Showing 2 responses by rodman99999

Nsgarch: My earlier system consisted of a Dahlquist DQLP-1 passive Hi/active low filter, which placed all of one capacitor(a polypropylene) in the mains signal path(minimum phase shift). Virtually transparent! I attenuated my volume with a Placette passive for years(again virtually transparent). One object of actively bi-amping with subs is to rid the mains of the intermodulation distortion created when the diaphram is trying to reproduce frequencies below it's capabilities(and they ALL try). One of the same reasons crossovers are used in multi-way speaker systems of any design. There isn't nearly enough capacitance in the voice coil(so to speak) of the Maggies to electrically roll of the low bass. Another benefit is the fact that it takes much more power to reproduce bass frequencies than mids and highs(although the greatest part of the music is in the midrange). By removing this load from the main amps, a very noticable/audible improvement is appreciated(as I previouly mentioned). The TacT that I used to replace the afore mentioned filter and attenuator is a state-of-the-art unit that has received raves from a number of high end publications(Editors Choice from The Absolute Sound, Robert Harley, etc.), and adds/subtracts nothing appreciable from the original signal(and I am VERY critical). Regardless of your improvements: NO room will sound like an original recording venue(unless it IS). As mentioned in many of the reviews it has received: the Tact units bring the listener very close to this ideal. I've been deeply involved in professional sound for the past 26 years, and my frame of reference has always been live music(which I am blessed to hear 2 or 3 times a week). The idea that there is no directionality in the bottom octaves, or that subwoofer placement doesn't matter has to originate with people that have never heard properly reproduced sound(or live music, ala Julian Hirsch). Many people are happy just adding bass to a system(whether the result is true to the original signal/sound/recording venue or not). There is a massive difference between dipolar(planar) and bipolar systems(the infinite baffle cones you referred to) by the way. Their radiation pattern/phasing is totally different. Steve: I don't know how much live music(acoustic or amplified) you get to listen to, But- If your reference(or goal) is accurate/live sound: Don't let anyone disuade you from trying a (correctly)bi-amped system. Too many opinions and not enough trained ears in these forums for me to indulge. Goodbye and Happy listening!!
Although most planar speakers aren't capable of the excursion necessary for low bass reproduction(and hence: roll off the bass)- It doesn't mean they aren't trying(not to mention the wasted wattage). The sound of your Maggies will benefit greatly if you use a GOOD high-pass filter(BEFORE your power amp). I've been actively bi-amping planars for the last 26 years, and have found they ALL sound cleaner/less strained/more dynamic with the bottom handled by another amp/sub system. The corner sub not only energizes the room and lays an excellent foundation for your music, but- the driver has much less work to do having the reinforcement of the room boundaries. The drawback is in the time domain. Three feet will add up to a lot of mS in delay. I'm using a TacT 2.2X which delays the mains to compensate(along with a multitude of other neat tricks).