Good used surround processors??

I just split up my system--taking the high-end two channel section and moving it to my new living room, and taking what's left (with which i used a tape looped fosgate pro logic processor) and re-assemblling a mid-fi home theater in my new family room. As two channel listening isn't critical (at all) to the theater system, I don't want to spend the farm on a processor, but I do want to make the jump to digital surround.

As I'm sure digital surround sound processors are changing (and hopefully improving) more than probably any other component, I need a 101 guide on the pre-requisites to look for in a used processor, and features that don't really matter. Also, if I am looking for, say, a two year old mid-fi surround processor, what are some worthy candidates? In other words, should I avoid the Rotel, and look for a B&K or Parasound processor? I throw these arbitrarily as examples, but hopefully you get the idea.

Thanks in advance.

Ho
bismarck1f4ad

Showing 2 responses by chaskelljr2001

Hello Bismarch1

If you are going the used route to put together a home theater system (which is not a BAD idea when you stop and think about it. I got both of my VCRs that way, a JVC HR-VP638U VHS/Hi-Fi deck and a 1991 vintage Sony SLV-R5UC S-VHS/Hi-Fi "Prosumer Type" deck. The TV and the rest of my gear was purchased brand new), then I would definitely look for a 2 or 3 year old Fosgate with Dolby Digital Decoding, Dolby Pro-Logic, DTS (if that's what you want), and THX (again, if that's what you want). It should also have enough jacks in the back to connect all of your gear, and it should have a lot of S-VHS Jacks. I believe that some of the newer high-end standalone processors have "Component Video Jacks". If that doesn't concern you all that much, this would be a feature I would bypass if you happen to have these jacks on the back of your TV.

Now, about DAC's. I don't know what kind of DVD Player you have, but if you have a player that is equipped with good DAC's in the beginning, then I would forget about getting a DAC at this point. If not, then I would hunt down a used Theta Chroma for about $300.00 to about $450.00.

And finally, as for amps. I would say that you should listen to your Energy's first with both of your existing amps and see which amp sounds best with them, and then I would pursue a used stereo amp that either like one of your existing amps or one that is strikingly similar to it in sonic signature. Since everyone seems to be going for "multi-channel" sound right now, a good stereo amp may be had on the cheap. I would look here at "Audiogon" or at a site like "Audio Shopper", "Audio Review (if you are willing to put in the time)", or "E-Bay" to see if any bargains exist. If you see one that fits your ideal, jump on it then.

As for cables and a subwoofer. I think I will reserve comment until things on the speaker/amp front are resolved. I hope this is helpful enough for right now.

Good Luck,

--Charles--
Bismarch1:

I don't know right off of the top of my head the difference between Dolby Digital and DTS. Both decoding methods use the 5.1 recording system. Dolby Digital is what you should be concerned about. It seems as though manufacturers also add DTS as an afterthought. DTS is a format that had some promise when it was launched about three or four years ago, but for some reason or another, it never caught on, and therefore, it was hardly mentioned. I hope I am right about this. But then again, you never know, because some of my DVDs at home can be decoded by either format, Dolby Digital and DTS. That may sound like a good subject for another thread altogether.

Now as for your Sony DVD Player, more than likely, it will have a digital output (in the form of both, a coaxial and a fiber optic toslink). Most DVD Players will have both of these jacks. My Pioneer Elite DV-37 certainly has them. The only ones that I have seen to have omit one form of the digital outputs so far seem to be the entry-level Toshibas (a friend of mine has an SD-1600..... he was someone who wanted a decent DVD Player that has a great picture, but doesn't cost a lot of money, so I told him about the Toshiba SD-1600/SD-1700), so you can add a DAC later on if you like.

And yes, in Dolby Digital, equal power goes to ALL channels (front, center, rear, and sides (if you have any), leaving only the subwoofer to fend for itself, hence the name, 5.1 channel sound. However, the surround sound processor should blend the subwoofer with the rest of the channels of your home theater system).

--Charles--