good speakers matches for jolida 302b

Trying tubes out for the first time and am looking for anyone who has advice or has matched the jolida 302b with a particular speaker and thoughts or recommendations. Looking to spend $1,200 to $1,600 for the speakers. Front end is a Rega Planet with Kimber 8tc cable. My musical taste are all over the place. Thanks
shigojw

Showing 2 responses by trelja

I'm sorry, but the Totem Arro is the best match so far that I have ever encountered with the Jolida 302B. And, as anyone here knows me, I am definitely the biggest Jolida 302B supporter on this site. The combination is capable of loud music.

As far as placing speakers close to the rear wall, that is normally a better situation with a front ported speaker, which the Coincident is not. The Von Schweikert VR1 is also in the same boat, as is the Soliloquy.

On the other hand, front ported speakers have a tendency to REALLY annoy me ala "chuffing" of the port. But, nothing is absolute.

I do like Raguirre's suggestion of Triangle...
In your price range, I would say the three speakers I would recommend are:

1) Totem Arro. Exceptional sound, I would have no reservation going with this combination myself. In fact, one day, I might simplify and do just that. Misses the bottom octave, but the rest of it more than makes up for it. A very live sound, that just begged the question, "Why would anyone ever spend more?" Perhaps the most amazing soundstaging I have ever come across.

2) Coincident Triumph UHS. This is the best small loudspeaker I have come across under $2500. If I do ever simplify, this would be the other speaker on my short list. Would have to A - B them with the Arros.

3) Von Schweikert VR1. Treble a bit better than the Coincident, but the Coincident walks away from it in probably every other regard, especially the presentation(clarity, coherence, extension, ability to play clean - no congestion) of the low frequencies. Still, this is the second best small loudspeaker I have come across under $2500.

By the way, the VR2 is quite a nice speaker at its price point, but one should really give a listen to the new Freid and JMlabs Electra lines before declaring the VR2 to be the best speaker under $4K