Good Preamp for Adcom GFA-5400 $500 new or used

Hello all,

I am searching for a pre amp to mate with my Adcom Power amp, a GFA-5400. I would like if it has a full function remote as well. I have stated a price above, but if it is worth it I could go a bit above.

Here is my present setup:
Hafler DH-100 pre amp
Adcom GFA-5400 power amp
M-Audio Super DAC 2496
Sony D-EJ955 as transport
B&W DM601 speakers
Cable Talk interconnects
Ixos Gamma speaker cable

I miss the convenience of a remote control even though I enjoy the sound of my system(although a touch harsh up top at higher volumes, it is much better than what I previously had).

I have considered some preamps, which are:
Adcom GTP450, GTP500, GTP502
Parasound Halo C3
Anthem TLP1
B&K PT3 and PT5

I am looking for something to smooth out the top end without losing any detail or dynamics in the process.
I am leaning towards the GTP502 at present.

I unfortunately don't live in a place where I can audition anything worthwhile (St. Vincent, a barely known Caribbean island), so that leaves me to the reviews and opinions of other more experienced audiophiles like yourselves.

Any suggestions would be welcome for a good pre or even any other component that looks too out of place in my setup. (I plan to get a cd player soon as well. I am fedup with a meddlesome sony changer I have so I am using the discman in the interim)

Thanks,
Duane
eccbo

Showing 3 responses by eccbo

Anyone please?

Is my choice of poweramp that bad as for one to think it does not warrant a preamp of such calibre? or has this question been asked a thousand times?

I would really like a suggestion on this as I am quite ready to upgrade now.

Thanks

Duane
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will try the GTP-502 and hope for the best.

I wish I could audition but I have no such luck in this place where I live. For me to audition any relatively good gear I have to travel to at least Barbados or Trinidad, and the stuff there is expensive unless I could get it duty free!!

So I am buying blind so to speak!!

Anyway As I said, I will try the GTP-502 if it is still available.

Duane
I have decided on the Adcom GTP-502.

I like the look and I would appreciate the convenience even if it is not a big sonic improvement over my current setup (Though I hope that it is a big sonic improvement!!).

I think I would love the remote as none of my current gear has a remote!!

I would have liked some opinions on it though. I cant listen and need to depend on the opinions that you guys provide.

I know its not high end but I am looking at the best I can get for the dollars in terms of convenience and sound and at less than $300 I think it is a goo deal.

D