Golden Tube Audio SE-40

I've been picking through the offerings of an estate sale and came across a Golden Tube Audio SE-40 power amp. I can't give it a listen as it's missing a rectifier tube and don't know if I even want to bother with the amp at all.
From what I've read so far, the amp has been known more for reliability issues than good sound. I presently use an Aragon 2004 and a Forte 44 and am wondering if this Golden Tube Amp is worthwhile.
Other pieces I have picked up from the estate are a Dynaco ST70 and a Sound Valves VTP-101 preamp, which I think are keepers.
Any opinions/experience/advice regarding Golden Tube Audio would be appreciated.
heyraz

Showing 2 responses by br3098

The SE-40 is a good, very under-rated amp IMHO. It's got a very sweet sound, but can be a little lacking in the lower range if not paired to the right speakers.

I have two and there have been no reliability issues (so far). The guy who moderates the Yahoo group is Loc Vu, and he is the goto guru for all things GTA. He can help you with advise, parts and upgrade kits.

If it's too much like work just send the amp to me. I'll make sure that it gets disposed of properly. I'll donate it to the... Nuns. Yeah, that's right. I'll donate it to Sisters of Charitable Audio.
Faust3d said:
You can get better amps for a bit more money and even for less money.
I have not heard a tube amp that sounded better than the SE-40 for $350 or so. If you can do the upgrades yourself, spend another $100 (or less) and it becomes a giant-killer. Agreed not the best, but a hellava amp for under five bills.