Giving Advice without recommending your own equipment

I've noticed over the years that you can't ask a general question on Audiogon without getting people answering who with a specific model recommendation.  They  think the answer to every question is to just buy their model.  For example:

OP:  What is the difference between R2R and FPGA DACS.

ans 1:  I have a model x that is R2R and you should just buy it.  it is spectacular.

ans 2:  I have model y what is FPGA and it is spectacutlar.  buy it.

ans 3:  I have model z.  I don't know if it is FPGA, R2R or what, but you should buy it.

ans 4:  I have owned both.  I found the FPGA to have the following attributes..... and the R2R to be more ......  The models i owned were not exactly in the same price range so YMMV.  But my opinion is that I like ______ better.

Which of those answers sound more useful?  I'm just suggesting that your advice is more meaningful if you can refraim from recommending your latest and greatest piece of equipment.   I would totally ignore answers 1 thru 3.  Ans 4 is well thought out and give you a useful opinion.

Sometimes people ask for specific model advice from people who have heard certain models.  Of course 99.9% of the comments come from people who love their model x.  Apparently nobody ever buys something and decides it is not that great (I wonder why there is so much used equipment for sale).  But comments about specific models are appropriate then.

Just a few thoughts about how to navigate theough the forums and sort the wheat from the chaff.  there is lots of good advice here and lots of bad advice and this is more of an example of useless advice and how to avoid giving it.

Jerry

128x128carlsbad2

Carlsbad2,

If someone is looking for a recommendation, of course it will be something excellent we own or want to own; or something we are aware of. To me that's the best kind of recommendation. I became aware of Aric Audio, Clayton Shaw, Anti-Cables, Audiolab CD transports, Bakcert Labs, Denafrips DACs, Aurender streamers, and a ton more....all from you guys or from friends.

Personally I recommend gear that I own and really like, or equipment that friends of mine own that I know well. I am very blessed to know some well healed clients (I'm a financial planner) that are into audio and can afford some really nice stuff.

I recommend my good gear, and think it would benefit others at a fair price point. Examples: Denafrips Pontus II DAC, Denafrips Iris DDC, Buchardt Audio S400 MKIIs, Clayton Shaw Caladans, brands of cables, Audiolab 6000CDT transport, Bluesound Node 130.

I've never recommended my gear that I know is not beneficial: Panamax power conditioner, Pangea cables, some failed cable choices, etc.

If recommending your own purchases was banned you'd get very few to no recommendations. People can only recommend what they have experienced, and the mass majority have only heard what they have personally owned.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that you guys turned me on to CODA; otherwise I never would have known about the absolutely brilliant CODA S5.5 which now sits in my rack.....and for that I will be forever grateful. That amp is amazing, and in my mind a steal at it's price; what an eye opener to what is possible for a reasonable price that amp is.

Audiophile threads is created by subjective journeys and various testimonies..

It is also motivated by more than just gears measured specs...

It is motivated by our personal informed or ill informed experiences...

I like all people journeys information as a story...

I like people as much as gear...

😊