Getting weak bass from Tannoy D700 speakers

I've got a pair of D700 Tannoys matched with a Quad 707 power amp and a Quad 77 integrated amp which I thought would give me a rich punchy sound, but alas they sound tinny and weak. I grew up with Tannoy 10" (uncle) and Tannoy 15" (father) and their sound is so rich and powerful and they are probable 30 & 40 year old speakers. I bought my system new quite some time a go and have never really been happy with it. Do you think I've wired it incorrectly, preamp output is wired directly to top rung of speaker inputs and poweramp goes to bottom rung of speaker inputs. Also I haven't Quadlinked the power amp and preamp, do you think that would make a difference?
golddaz
Not sure about the Quad set-up, however, I have D700's with a Denon AVR. Running just the D700's without the sub I get the a very balanced or as you say rich-puncy sound.

I have silver jumpers and just connect the Denon to the bottom speaker terminals.

I've had them for years and they still impress me.
Thanks Krv, I saw some other reviews from people that own the D700's and they said the same as you, very positive. Something has to be wrong with my set up as I reckon my computer gives me a better sound and doesn't distort or sound tiny at volume. Not sure what to try next to fix it, I've sent the same to Quad and Tannoy to see if they can suggest anything. When I hear mu uncles 12" and dads 15' (which are a little too bassy) i get home and am instantly dissapointed.
The older Tannoys have loose, lumpy bass in comparison. But given your description, it sounds as something still may be amiss. Are you sure everything is wired correctly? Have you experimented with placement? How old is your amp, maybe it's in need of service, etc...

Do you think I've wired it incorrectly, preamp output is wired directly to top rung of speaker inputs and poweramp goes to bottom rung of speaker inputs
Can you elaborate on this?

Have you tried connecting only the 707 to the D700's with the jumpers in place?