Gallo 3.1 vs. B&W 804 vs. faber grand piano

I am looking to stay under $3,000 used. The only one I have heard is the sonus, faber. I liked it. I also have had jm labs in the past, so they are not out of the question either, I like there sound siquature.

The speakers will be used for Home theater use also. I mainly listen to rock music.

What I want is a speaker that is very fast, tight bass, with great imaging. Also I kind of like a speaker to be a little on the bright side, but not fatiguing.

Oh and the amps will be a theta Dreadnaught or Bell Canto ref II's.

Thanks for the help in advance!
him

Showing 4 responses by ryder

Contrary to the above, I find B&Ws to be upfront and dynamic, certainly not laid back. They are great with rock material and sound best with warm electronics due to the metal-dome tweeter. On the other hand, I find the Sonus Faber Grand Piano to be laidback and excels in jazz and vocals. B&Ws do rock music and HT better than Sonus Fabers. Both are colored speakers that have a distinctive house sound of their own. I have owned the B&W N805 and SF Grand Piano, the latter for 3 years.

Since you have listened to the Grand Pianos yourself and liked it, it's a wiser choice to go with that speaker rather than taking a chance without listening to the other two speakers.
Just out of curiosity, why are the Gallo surrounds more costly than the main speakers? My thought is it should be the other way round.
Scramble the words a little and we get

thin, bright, fatiguing(don't think this word exist), dynamic = boring

On the other hand, the respective antonyms

fat, warm, smooth, laid back = exciting

Can be a possibility although technically speaking it should be the other way round. Some like it hot while some like it cold.