Front port vs Rear port

Hello all,
Trying to decide on the final pieces for my set up. I know I did it backwards but some deals came up before I could decide on speakers.
I am down to a few choices for my speakers, but I do have one nagging question. The room that everything is being set up in is only 12' X 16' so speaker placement will probably be a big issue. My question is....will a front ported set of speakers allow me to place them closer to the back wall? I know some adjustments will be necessary and it will depend on the speaker characteristics. But in general will front ports make better sense?
Thank You!
mtpockets1311

Showing 1 response by cruz123

Also, consider sealed designs, such as Merlin monitors. Prior to my current setup, I was using Tyler acoustic monitors that were front ported. They were very good, but I could never elimnate a degree of "bloom" in the lower frequencies in my 11 x 20 room. On a whim I plugged the ports and found that they integrated a lot better with my room. Based upon results of the experiment, I replaced the Tylers with the Merlin monitors, which are sealed, and they are excellent in my room. I've even added a pair of sealed subs with great success. YMMV.