From Pipedream to MBL 101e, any thought?

Hi everybody, I have just decided to buy a pair of MBL 101e, used of course. I'm looking for a more holographic image and sit anywhere sound stage. What I'm not so sure is the matching with my Mark Levinson NO. 33 I'm using with the Pipedreams. Actually I'm using 2 pairs of them to drive the Pipes so I can do the same with 101e for passive biamping.
I learned from a few post in Audiogon who successfully use amps other than MBL own with great success so I hope my 33s can do the job as well. Any comments would be appreciated.
Suchart
suchtan

Showing 1 response by french_fries

ONE pair of ML-33's should be more than enough especially if you have a 220V
outlet feeding them. but would the "tonality" of ML amps affect the speaker in a negative way? one can only try the combination out IN YOUR ROOM to see
if it works out or not. i heard great sound at a stereophile show years ago from the 101's in a "motel room" without any EQ as far as i could tell. I seem to recall M.Fremer did a review of the speakers (awhile back) and did alot of tweaking to get them to sound good to HIS ears. so his conclusion was that they were "fussy" but great if you could "tame" them. i was impressed WAY in the OTHER direction at the show. yes, the MBL amps were in use, but with wire everywhere and people standing around everywhere it sounded really quite excellent, and i was standing off to one side. laugh all you want, but EMPIRE used to make a gorgeous 360 speaker with a marble top that sounded that way too (on a smaller scale). it might have been mid-fi but the Beatles' White Alblum sounded incredible anyway...