Focus Audio FS688 wiring tweak?

This is a general question aimed at FS688 owners but is applicable to any speaker, where the owner is running them biwired.

Has anyone tried leaving the jumper connected between the negative (-) posts?

This was a tweak I picked up on a John Risch forum and at least in my setup it works real well.

Larger soundstage depth, height and width. More open and relaxed sound. Better top to bottom integration, sounds like a single driver. Only minor quibble was a little leaner sound.

WARNING: If you try this, it is for the (-) jumpers only.

Curious for feedback.
maxxc

Showing 1 response by nickway

I tried this tonight with my Studio 40's. I must of put them jumpers on and of 5 or 6 times.

I found that there was an increase in soundstage, insturments and people seemed better placed. However I also found this muffled or blured the sound. So while the inturments were better placed they seemed a less refined. I guess what I am looking for is lack of microdynamics. They just seemed flatter. Both the positives and negitives were subtle, but in the end I opted to leave the jumpers out.

This also does not mean someone else will not have good results. It just mean for me, I prefered them without. BUT.. it is diffinatly worth playing with.

I know it is a pain to start messing around with this sort of thing, but I too would also be interested in hear what other people think.

Cheers.