First used turntable +- $20,000. Any suggestions?

Hi all,

I've been into audio for several years but never ready looked into turntables. Since a few of my friends telling me they like the sound of turntables much much more than CD I might make the switch as well.

Since new is too expensive I will be looking on the second hand market. Could anyone advise me on a superb table that will be max. $20,000 (incl. cartridge, arm etc etc) on the used market? What are the brands to look for and are there particular things I need to watch out for when buying second hand turn tables?

Appreciate your thoughts.
maxx1973
IMO, the phrase "God is in the details" is relevant to remember here.

...and one of those "details" is the naturalness with which they are presented.

The idea that one must give up detail for musicality is reactionary.

As usual, balance.

...and then there is the small matter of the recording.
Piedpiper,
the phrase is actually "the devil is in the details", meaning an effort can go terribly wrong if one of its details is not right. Vide: A rig will only sound as good as its weakest part. That's were the adversary sits.

By the way, another thought, just for the fun of it: Real music, besides being "musical" per definition is only "analytical" if we want it to be, if we specially listen for it, concentrating on different aspects of the live musical message....and if we do, we won't be able to stand our rigs for quite a while, especially if it is too analytical. As you rightly say, balance.....
Haven't read all the threads but looks like no one has suggested an SME. Is that cos it is brit rather than yank? Just wondered.
SME is certainly a beautifully built contender but, IME, a bit mechanical sounding for my taste, compared to the best of its competition.
I suppose any tonearm with the wrong table/cartridge could sound "mechanical".

However, across the board I find SME tonearms to be extremely well built (far better than Origin/Rega), neutral, highly reliable, and compatible with a wide variety of cartridges.

I have no association with SME.