First used turntable +- $20,000. Any suggestions?

Hi all,

I've been into audio for several years but never ready looked into turntables. Since a few of my friends telling me they like the sound of turntables much much more than CD I might make the switch as well.

Since new is too expensive I will be looking on the second hand market. Could anyone advise me on a superb table that will be max. $20,000 (incl. cartridge, arm etc etc) on the used market? What are the brands to look for and are there particular things I need to watch out for when buying second hand turn tables?

Appreciate your thoughts.
maxx1973

Showing 5 responses by detlof

Justin has made a good point. I would only buy used or a demonstration model if the seller guarantees it, brings it and sets it up for you. Where I don't agree with him is his remark that TTs affect the sound at least. Not so to my ears, especially as far as bass rendition and dynamics, as well as the rendition of transients are concerned. I went from a Thorens to an Oracle to a Goldmund to a Micro Seiki to a Goldmund Reference, old model and then modded that with a new bearing and a few other things and every step made a tremendous difference in the entire tonal presentation. So I would advise you to be careful in choosing, best try to listen to a few brands and setups before you decide. Accept any help you can get and don't rush things. Digital is easier to set up to sound good, though also not without its pitfalls. With analog, to get it to sound right you have to learn a lot and learn it fast, otherwise you might be opening a can of worms.
However, it is worth the effort, believe me and the rituals about playing an LP are much more satisfying than just plunking a CD into a tray an pushing a button, because if you want to get your LP to sound really right, after you have perfected your setup, you'll have to buy a record cleaning machine with all the necessary unctions, which to concoct properly is an arcane science by itself.
Yes, you do need to make adjustments, Piedpiper, if you have the discerning ear and clever enough hands for it. Depending on the thickness of the LP, you may even want to change the VTA everytime to make the music sound just right and to get a full soundstage. I have modified my tonearm just for that and that I can do it from my listening position without having to lift the needle from the record.
Piedpiper,
Yes you are right of course, you were speaking of TTs and I of a tonearm. I agree with what you say about the Walker, I thought of buying one once but instead threw out most of Reverchon's stuff, the quality of which, considering the price and all the hype, I would rather not speak of and modified the Goldmund Reference from ground up. In the course of this process I did add a motorised VTA adjuster, which though used rarely, can be put to excellent effect.
Cheers and happy listening,
Detlof
Raul,
Music per se is not "analytical". It has bloom, a natural aura of sound emanating from the instrument, the sound of which you can hear clearly with and around the original tone being played. The sound of live music is very complex, add do that the natural reverberations coming from the location of the surroundings where the music is being played, this all adds to something which even the best rig will not be able to produce, whatever is being said.
"Analytical" is something to my ears, which people think has to do with real music, but mostly seems artificial to my ears. so I am in the same camp as Nostrov. Mind you there is a thin line between "musical" and "analytical". Of course live music can be perceived as "analytical", but to my ears it is without that additional touch of artificiality, which those highly touted analytical setups seem to emanate.It is all subjective of course, I speak only of what my ears tell me, and they are -alas- also beginning to show signs of old age.
Piedpiper,
the phrase is actually "the devil is in the details", meaning an effort can go terribly wrong if one of its details is not right. Vide: A rig will only sound as good as its weakest part. That's were the adversary sits.

By the way, another thought, just for the fun of it: Real music, besides being "musical" per definition is only "analytical" if we want it to be, if we specially listen for it, concentrating on different aspects of the live musical message....and if we do, we won't be able to stand our rigs for quite a while, especially if it is too analytical. As you rightly say, balance.....