First used turntable +- $20,000. Any suggestions?

Hi all,

I've been into audio for several years but never ready looked into turntables. Since a few of my friends telling me they like the sound of turntables much much more than CD I might make the switch as well.

Since new is too expensive I will be looking on the second hand market. Could anyone advise me on a superb table that will be max. $20,000 (incl. cartridge, arm etc etc) on the used market? What are the brands to look for and are there particular things I need to watch out for when buying second hand turn tables?

Appreciate your thoughts.
maxx1973

Showing 2 responses by gregm

Justin has made a good point. I would only buy used or a demonstration model if the seller guarantees it, brings it and sets it up for you.
I second (or is it "third") Detlof's advice.
I also second the assertion, the order of importance (decreasing) in analogue is, TT -> arm -> cartridge. This would hold assuming you have the mechanical parts well-matched, a service offered by manufacturers & dealers: you don;t really have to worry about it, just listen & you'll know.
Just start with s/thing that's easy to use & reasonably priced & I believe you'll be happily surprised!
Dear Detlof,
Someone described analytical as "the sounds without the music".
Obscure, but poetic non the same!

In rationalising this, we would note that many sonic details are reproduced (analytical) -- but in a disjointed manner (unmusical), i.e. with phase & timing problems & other irregularities.