First DAC: Metrum-MHDT-Rega-or?

I have read up on a lot of the posts here. Not sure if that led to more or fewer questions. I have a decent system, modded AR-XB table, Lehmann Phone pre, Exposure integrated and CDP, Harbeth speakers. I want to add my first DAC to the system. Initially it will take iTunes data from a MAC and run into the Exposure amp. I may also run digital out of the CDP into the DAC to see if that improves overall quality. I would like to stay at around $1000.THat is not a lot to some of you but that is kind of my limit at this point. From some of the reading I have done I am leaning toward a Metrum Amethyst, MHDT Orchid or Stockholm, or a Rega DAC-R. I am also open to used units as well. I do not want Pre-amp functionality, and a headphone amp is not critical but nice to have. I am interested in your commentary on the above units and brands. In addition the MAC is more than 15' away from the amp, so I am going to have to piece together USB, Interconnects and maybe SPDIF cables. Is there one cable I should avoid using in long lengths relative to the others?

I admit I am a total newbie in this. I will learn more about software...etc, but now just trying to make an educated decision as s first step.

Thanks

stuartbmw3
So I have ordered a MHDT Orchid. I know my ears, and I much prefer analog over clinical. I also like the idea of introducing a tube into the chain. Will let you know what I think once broken in. Thanks for the input.
I think you made a good choice.  Yes, please let us know what you think of this DAC.
Congratulations. I've narrowed my choices down to the MHDT Orchid and Border Patrol SE. Will probably pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks. Please let us know how you like it.