Fidelity Research MC201 for an Ortofon AS-212?

Hello,

I recently purchased an AS-212 tonearm and I am considering the FR-MC201 to go with it.

I am not that familiar calculating compliance and need some help.

Best regards,

Horacio

f456gt

Showing 4 responses by f456gt

Thank you Dover, points taken.

I’ll go with the Classic N or NE they can be fitted to the 212 headshell with an adapter. They are heavy, 13 grams each.

The ST7 is the transformer than Ortofon recommends for using with these cartridges, they are inexpensive.

One question please, is it possible to calculate a tonearm effective mass?

Regards,

First of all I do not know the arm's effective mass. Second, there is no way to listen to my arm/cartridge combination without first buying a cartridge, this to me makes no sense, unless you have money to throw away. Dover's approach seems correct.

I had both the 103 and 103R and I was not happy with the sound. After reading the Korf Blog I found out that the Denon 103 is known for generating a lot of excess of mechanical energy that goes straight into the headshell. But it was not the Denon’s fault, it was the SME 3009 S2 which is a lightweight tonearm. The 3009R with the steel arm tube would have been the right arm.

The 103 tracks at 2.5g +/- 0/3g and maybe, with a heavier cap/body, it will weigh more.