Feedback wanted from Jolida JD100A owners

I've been doing a lot of research on this player and a few others like the Arcam 73T.

How do you guys like this cd player and what other cd players did you audition? I don't want my highs extended as they are pretty good and borderline excessive. I do like bass though.

Thanks in advance.
dazman

Showing 2 responses by audioguy62c681

Dazman - if bass is your #1 priority then don't go with a tubed based player. Bottom line, at the peak of design, a solid state player will have better bass. Same can be said for a tube player and the mid range.

Confused why you're disappointed. Your impressions from reading reviews is true in that overall the Jolida is a great player that many enjoy. But when you break down the bass, treble, mids, etc...you will have ratings for each that don't tell the "whole" story. The NY Yankees have the higest payroll and most star power every year, yet the team that wins the World Series is the best "team".

In summary, this is what you get from the Jolida:

Highs - 8/10
Mids - 9/10
Bass - 6/10
Dynamics - 7/10
Speed - 5/10
Extension - 6/10
Separation - 5/10
Soundstage - 7/10
Imaging - 6/10
Enjoyment - 10/10

With all this said, I've found in my experience the amp used being greater than or equal to in significance effecting the ratings. Same goes for speakers. Which is why you hear comments like "jolida is solid state like" or the "jolida has great bass". Hell, I believe them! It's all system syngergy. So I suggest you try it out in your system.
Opinions are very subjective. What does he mean by "excellent bass"? The Jolida's bass is deep and full, certainly not lacking in frequency reponse, and in fact comparable to any player. Where it falls short is in its control and articulation. So if your dealer's comments were based on a medium/slow Jazz recording with deep bass notes, the Jolida would come across as having "excellent bass and full mids". Fast paced rock can make the Jolida sound a little congested with flabby bass.

However, if your amp and speakers are well controlled at the frequency extremes, I'd give the Jolida a try. It might strike a nice balance and give you everything you're looking for.

Another analog yet resolved player you may want to look at is the Rega Apollo. I'm willing to bet given the class A solid state output, the bass while perhaps not as deep and full, would be tighter, faster, and more controlled.